Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have noticed that my doors have been oozing that white grease and it is getting all over everything...especially my lowers. I'm assuming it is happening now since I am in hot New Mexico. Anybody else having this problem? Will this become an issue down the road?

Happy Driving

SL

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Its called cosmoline. It sprayed on the cars before being loaded on the ships in Germany. It is washed off at the port when they reach the States. The stuff thats in the body cavities tends to ooze out when it gets hot.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
squall line said:
Lately I have noticed that my doors have been oozing that white grease and it is getting all over everything...especially my lowers. I'm assuming it is happening now since I am in hot New Mexico. Anybody else having this problem? Will this become an issue down the road?

Happy Driving

SL
OMG! Thank you so,so much! I thought *I* was doing something wrong. I too have noticed that when it is really hot or after I wash my car I get this grease.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
It's not COSMOLINE (R)!!!!!!! Cosmo is a registered trademark of Houghton International, and they don't supply it to VAG!

It's cavity wax, and it's applied at the factory as a corrosion preventive. Probably some Henkel goo, we make lots of it and we do supply VAG. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your responses. At least I now know it is fairly normal. It just gets too darn hot here I suppose. I will just have to take extra time when cleaning my car now.

Thanks again

SL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.