Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
seems it would be better to design a intercooler that uses the AC system to cool the incoming air, all you would need is a bigger AC system :D . And you would not have to keep adding CO2.
Some one patent this idea quick :lol:

·
Registered
352 Posts
yeah, i can picture myself it a stop light spraying my oponent with c02..........

my name is bond.........james bond :eek:h:

although the interfreezer seemes somewhat convencing, its a little too dramatic if you ask me.........

My .02cents

ALfredo

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RxCritical said:
seems it would be better to design a intercooler that uses the AC system to cool the incoming air, all you would need is a bigger AC system :D . And you would not have to keep adding CO2.
Some one patent this idea quick :lol:
:cry: :cry:
"The Patent Files: Refrigerated Intercooling
Ford has recently patented an intercooling approach that uses an engine-driven refrigerant system.
The US Patent and Trademark Office and Julian Edgar
United States Patent No. 6,006,540 was awarded on December 28, 1999. Filed by Ford Global Technologies, Inc. (Dearborn, MI), the patent covers a novel intercooling method."

There is whole article with drawings and schemes but is to big to copy it here. It is for Water/Air systems

·
Registered
99 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
so, does it freeze the air, or just drops the temperature dramatically?
CO2 will drop the air temperature significantly, possibly well below 0, but nowhere near the liquification point of air.

Interesting concept, but with technical errors on the page. As an example, the page states that "Moisture is removed from the air as it enters the motor". Not strictly correct as drawn. Moisture will condense on the cooling tubes, but will then be entrained in the air stream, as no water drain is apparent. I would also wonder about ice forming on the interior of the exchanger, then shedding crystals into the intake stream.

Then again, who knows. Maybe it is a well-thought-out system with minimal technical detail on the web page.

George

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.