Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
It does work, but all guy with 1.8T that I know say that is better to have chip. Can't give tech explanation, but some of our T-guys will chime in.
All I know is that this device affects only boost and ton other parameters like fuel,timing,air that are very important.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i figured it was another too good to be true item. . ..

i went from a volvo 850r where there are only a couple after market products available to now being so overwhelmed with options i don't even know what to get, bu ti like that better lol

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Don't get me wrong,
this kind of devices are long time on market and they are very popular but as far as I heard it is something like electronic NOS for Turbo. Much safer way with same results (30-40 hp) you can have with chip, plus extra hp with other mods like diverter valve,exhaust, CAI,etc.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Jerzy, Nanad was almost there.
The real issue here is messing with the boost without taking any reguard to air/fuel/timing etc... So with that said, do it right and get SOFTWARE programed for your car.

Nenad also made an analogy. "it's like electronic nitrous" for your turbo. All in all thats not a bad thing and are "safe" in moderation, but if you don't know what you're doing with a boost controller, or N20, you have the potential of the same thing happening, although for different reasons. What is that thing you ask?

your engine = :puke: (there is no dump icon)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I was looking at this boost controller for a long time, and actually ordered it, but then realized it is only for B5's 1999 and up that have fly-by-wire (an electronically controlled throttle body[correct me it i am wrong]). What is nice about it is that you can choose when you want to be running high boost. Let's say your friend wants to drive the car... then turn down the boost. But it also allows you to keep you rev limiter and govenor at north american specifications, unlike the chip which increases you rev limiter and removes the govenor.

.merk20vt.

it's a good buy in my opinion but if you have the little extra for a chip, i would suggest that over this boost controller.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
From what I understand the way this unit works is it "conditions" various sensors signals to the ecu so that the ecu is fooled into thinking that it is running with less boost. From what I know these are a safe, lower cost alternative to a chip. In addition you have the option to adjust your boost by simply turning the knob. From what I have heard they are a decent product, I think european car or eurotuner mag. did a write up on them. The only downside is you wont get near the performance gain as a chip 30hp compared to the 40-60hp gain of a chip. I know these things go for around $115 on ebay all the time. Check out split second online for more info.

·
Registered
917 Posts
ABD wants $250 for the boost controller?

And how much is a Wetteraurer chip right now? $295?

That's not difficult math --- Go with the chip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts