1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I wouldn't say "slam," but yes that's more than you need (all you really need are the springs, but it's best to change to performance shocks at the same time). Nice find on a good buy. I paid around $650+ for my Eibach pro-kit springs and dampers.

:sleep:

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
J - A couple of things to note:

(1) Neither Shox.com nor Eibach.com list a spring/shock combo for the W8 platform. The part number referenced at Driverwire (8569.780) "Fits 6 cyl Sedan, exc. 4 motion." (ref. Shox.com). Eibach.com confirms that this fits the FWD V6 only.

(2) I've found the people at Shox to be knowledgable. Call/email them and tell them what you're looking for. They might confirm that this kit will work ...or they'll point you towards what it is that you need.

(3) I purchased my Eibach Pro-System from Shox.com. I paid $588, shipped. The kit you're looking at - if it's the correct one - lists at $551. Ground shipping is about $35, so you'd get 'em for about the same that I got mine.

(4) Regarding the advertised drop, it's not a for-sure thing. The Eibachs advertised a 1.2" drop all around for my 1.8t wagon. I got 0.9" in the front and 1.7" in the back. It looks nice and even, but neither end is where they said they'd be. Just FYI.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although...I was reading that Bill1975 is having some problems with scraping after he lowered his car, but I think it's a more aggressive drop than this would be. The problem is, I find myself scraping in some driveways already, so maybe I should just get a set of wheels. I like how W8 a Minute's W8 turned out with just putting 19's on:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
SirRangeALot, I'm sorry but this vendor is selling a bogus suspension kit for the W8 and I've sent an E-Mail to them and Eibach concerning this issue.

There's a few suspension alternatives available for the W8. Currently AWE-Tuning was running a special for H&R Springs and Bilstein shocks. This setup provides an excellent drop, but the ride is not slammed. You might want to go with either KWSuspensions or Bilstein coilovers if you want a slammed W8. Please be advised that too low of a drop will cause issues with your front-end camber which can be addressed with CPP Upper Control Arms.

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
14 Posts
drop

hi there, 1.2 inch? that is about 35 mm. not much of a drop, more of a tweak. you def want a set off coilovers . that way you can play around and get the ride height that suits you, rather than settle for the limitations that you face buying a set of dampers and springs that lower the car a little rather than allow you to modify the car to suit your own needs. i cannot recommend local tuning companies but i would say platform adjustable leda all day long....

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, ok, I didn't mean "SLAMMED" per se, I meant "dropped"...I guess I took slang too far on this one.

Will, I figured that deal was too good to be true... :(

Fact of the matter is, I'm scraping in a few of the driveways I regularly visit as it is, so maybe I should'nt even do a lowered suspension.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok...

I checked into shox.com, and...

...they can do a Koni shocks/strut H&R spring package for $719.00.

Seems a bit high...I'm going to check into AWE tuning next. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
You can find a set of coilovers for around $800-$1000. Trust me, you wont regret it!! Its so cool being able to adjust the suspension!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts

That is a coilover...Notice how the shock is threaded, and that red piece has the notches in it. That red piece is called the perch, the spring rests on it and that is what u twist up or down to adjust the ride height.

you use a coilover wrench to grab onto the notches on the red perch and twist it....

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So would I have to get springs too if I got coilovers? Or do they come together...? :confused: So if I got coilovers, in other words, I wouldn't need anything else?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
So if I got coilovers, in other words, I wouldn't need anything else?

RIGHT! :)

Coilovers = Springs + Shocks

Also, do a google image search for "coilovers".... give u a better understanding of what they look like. BTW, dont worry about not getting this stuff, I had the hardest time understand this exact same thing before I bought mine... then figuring out how to adjust them. Man, after I got showed by vipernoved how to do it, I felt like an idiot... it was SO easy.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
So would I have to get springs too if I got coilovers? Or do they come together...? :confused: So if I got coilovers, in other words, I wouldn't need anything else?
It's a COILed spring OVER a shock absorber. A spring and strut combo all-in-one. I'm not saying it like that to be an ass, J - just making it as obvious as possible for anyone else that will read this thread in the hopes of learning something.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Also, the only reason I might argue against you getting a coilover setup is this - how often (if ever) will you really mess with the ride height? If you were looking for something like the Eibach Pro System (like I have), then you might never touch the settings.

Yes, you can get a spring/shock combo for $X and a coilover setup for about $200 more ...but if you're never going to use the features, why pay the extra cash? That $200 pays for installation on the traditional spring/shock set up.

Just doing my part to obfuscate and redirect.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts