Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my subs/amp/box in the classified sections of 3 different car forum websites that I frequent...I got this e-mail today....does this seem strange?

Subject : ohm speakers

I am interested in your item for sale please give me the total cost of buying only and i will instruct my client to pick the up from your location.the payment method will be through bank draft. If that is okay by you get back to me as soon as possible.
Regards,
joel

First off, what are "ohm speakers"? The e-mail is so general and he "will instruct his client to pickup from my location"? And who pays with a bank draft?

Does this seem a little fishy? (And if your name is Joel Tokunaga, don't respond)

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I would ask him to cantact you by phone. Either you call him or vise versa. I dont know that its fishy but I would look into it. Ask him what he means by client and why the payment has to be via bank draft.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
There is such a thing as "Ohm" speakers. These are high-end home
stereo speakers that are usually sold direct from the manufacturer.
(these are the real deal, not those cheap "van" speakers) My brother
has a set and they are very, very nice. Anyways...
This could be why he referenced to a bank draft?
These would be a high ticket purchase.

As to why he is contacting you for these when you are
selling car audio stuff is beyond me. :???:

Maybe he made a mistake?
...or he could be trying to pull off some kind of scam...

-Gene

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
i love my ohm speakers, buy some if you get a chance. :thumbup:

oh, and as mentioned, it's a scam. run away. :mad:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Yea, this is an old school scam that's been around for a while, basically they do a false bank-wire to your account and by the time the bank figures out what's happened you've already released the goods and are screwed.

I try to avoid anything that has to do with a wire-transfer. Cash, Check, or Paypal. Checks clear before items are shipped. I deliver for cash ;)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
someone tried to buy our english bull dog like this. He sent a check for $4800 for a $1500 dog. His instructions were to cash it, and send the rest to him via western union, hoping it would be done before the check cleared. It was a cashiers check with legitamate bank and address. The account number was something like 000005, so it was gay. We called the bank before doing anything with it, and it turned out to be a fraud. The bank also said this is a common act going on right now.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Yeah, I just got the Nigerian email from "Prince What's His Face." I replied back with, "I would love to help you, but as a sign of good faith, I will need a cashiers check for $100,000 US from ____ Bank in Houston, Texas."

Still waiting for their reply! :thumbup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Definately sounds like a scam to me. I second the recommendation to use Paypal. If you want to feel this person out, offer them the option of COD or using Paypal. I guess if he wants to pay you via bank draft, have him meet you at the parking lot of you local bank. It gives you a neutral place to meet, you can attempt to cash it before you hand over the speakers, and best of all, if it is a scam he will opt out of the deal.

When this person mentions bank draft, they may be referring to an electornic funds transfer. It is not uncommon for scam artists to request a sellers bank information with the intent of transferring payment electronically. The unknowing seller provides the buyer with his bank account information and within a couple weeks finds that their account has been raided of all funds.

The again, it could be legit. My next door neighbor just sold his son's old 280Z. The guy who bought it lived a couple hours away, so he sent a friend who lives locally to come look at it first.

Trust your gut and go from there. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
smc
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing