Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering...

.. would I get better gas mileage if the turbo wasn't being used during regular city driving.

I love the boost but sometimes I don't need all the power of the turbo... not within the city at least.

Perhaps there's a way to control/turn off available boost going into the engine.

A boost controller maybe?

Any way to do this usng a VAG-Com?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Ryan, if you had a boost gauge you would see the turbo draws a vacuum in city driving. In other words it is reducing power, in a sense it is "off". You would have to get on it in order to make boost. So it does nothing at all except robs power in city driving. That power is so insignificant that if you bypassed the turbo all together its effects would go unnoticed. Hope this helped. Jason

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
centrifugalpower said:
You will not get better gas mileage.

Your the first person I've ever heard say that they want less power. :poke:
I only wanted less power if there was significant gas mileage to gain.

On the highway I like to get up and go... lead foot etc... but for regular city driving I drive easy and keep with traffic... don't really need the power of the turbo... so THERE :puke: on you!!

Thanks everyone else for the input.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I think the key is: just keep off the high rpm's to save gas. One way to perfect your MPG is to keep your comp on current MPG and adjust your driving habits to it...

If you have a manual (like myself) I'm always taking advantage of neutral whenever possible... hills, rolling to stops, etc.

But for max gain keep the speed and rpm's to a minimum...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
this is a new low"i want less power" :poke: :suspicio: i don't get it

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Whatnow said:
Ryan, if you had a boost gauge you would see the turbo draws a vacuum in city driving. In other words it is reducing power, in a sense it is "off". You would have to get on it in order to make boost. So it does nothing at all except robs power in city driving. That power is so insignificant that if you bypassed the turbo all together its effects would go unnoticed. Hope this helped. Jason
Another Jason here...
As I understand it, it's not the turbo drawing a vacuum so much as the engine is the intake manifold is. At idle/decelleration/light driving, the engine is trying to suck in more air than can pass through the butterfly valve in the throttle body. You'll find this in all cars, not just cars with forced induction.

Still, your underlying point is accurate. In city driving, unless I'm trying to beat somebody else to a turn lane, my boost gauge never registers more than -5 mHG which means I'm constantly in a vacuum condition and the turbo isn't providing boost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AntWrig said:
Worst thread ever.
Settle down everyone... stop getting your undies in a twist.

I'm only trying to improve gas mileage!!! :eek:h:

I love the turbo and love smoking rice-boys in their tin cans.

Now if you have nothing to contribute in terms of how I can get better gas mileage... please don't post here! :mad:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
if you dont accelerate hard, you dont get boost. if you dont get boost, you are A) at a lower rpms and your injectors are not spraying as frequently and B) less fuel is being sprayed because you dont have boost, so your engine doesnt need to worry about detonation. this is why turbos are so great. gas mileage when you want it, power when you want it.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
la_crosse_dubber said:
AntWrig said:
Worst thread ever.
Settle down everyone... stop getting your undies in a twist.

I'm only trying to improve gas mileage!!! :eek:h:

I love the turbo and love smoking rice-boys in their tin cans.

Now if you have nothing to contribute in terms of how I can get better gas mileage... please don't post here! :mad:
Stop mashing the pedal. How is that for a tip?

I am loving this car. I average 30 MPG and I am more then happy. :bow: I was getting 18mpg with my SVT Contour.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
get it chipped you will get better gas milage. also, the turbo makes the engine run more efficently so more boost will get u better gas milage unless it is makin the rpms higher all the time, which will use more fule

·
Registered
537 Posts
No. You can not "turn off" the Turbo.

Turbos were invented for higher fuel efficiency first (ie: most trucks and buses are Turbocharged), better performance is a "given".

To learn more: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

If you chip your car you WILL get better gas mileage (more power, same weight = more efficiency) for as long as you can refrain from enjoying your new found rocket-power. :roll:

I hope this helps,
::R

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ryan,
Ignore the flamers getting their kicks. I'm with you. I often feel like the Turbo is kicking in when I didn't mean for it to, hence decreasing my gas mileage (and car wear as well I would think). It'd be nice to know WHEN the turbo was in fact engaging. I don't have a boost meter or a VAG I can leave hooked up to check in real time.

Not all of us are trying to over-compensate for other shortcomings with more power all the time. :lol:

·
Registered
366 Posts
upshot said:
If you have a manual (like myself) I'm always taking advantage of neutral whenever possible... hills, rolling to stops, etc.
Don't ever use neutral to "better" your gas mileage. Short story follows. Me and my dad were taking a test drive. It was Audi quattro tour on our local dealer and we took A3 3.2 V6 manual to a spin. Also we get to have some company to the car by a fellow who was telling something about the car etc. The guy was a professional race driver, he drives Sport 2000 series in Finland, but anyway, when my dad was driving he used to put the gear to neutral every now and then and just let the car roll with neutral on. The guy said don't ever roll the car on neutral because if you have to do sudden moves, for example to avoid a crash, the car would be out of control because all the electrical gadgets (esp, asr and so on) couldn't do the job they are intented to because the the gear is neutral. He also mentioned several other facts why would the car be out of control but I can't remember them now, but hey, the guy is a pro race driver and I think he knows what he is talking about, so don't roll around with neutral.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
M-kay... Never roll around in neutral.... :suspicio: Cuz some racecar driver say so.... :suspicio:

That's like saying never excell without full throttle cuz some drag racer says so... :crazy:

If you are AWARE of whats going on around you then your not DEPENDING on all your gadgets to save you. It's not like the anti-lock brakes will fail... or the Airbag.... AND MOST OF ALL: what is every manual drivers instinct when you have a moment to decide in a threatening situation?? Engage the clutch and decide weather breaking, gas, or downshift is the best for the situation....

So.... Mr racecar driver says keep the clutch engaged when entering a threatening situation??? Um.... Pass the krank homey.... :crazy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
17 Participants
upshot
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing