Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going to lend my car to some one for a few days and i got to thinking is there a way i could reduce the max speed of the car to like 70 or something to that effect

mabey with a vag-com im not really looking to chip it or anything

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I doubt it. But it isn't the speed you need to worry about anyway. It's the damge they do when they park it. Scratch the rims, pull to close and crack front bumper, back into things, etc. Then because its not their car they hit every damn pothole they can.. :mad:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I don't think you can do it with a VAG-COM, not to mention how dangerous it would be to limit the speed to something as low as 70 MPH. For highway driving you would want the person to be able to perform evasive maneuvering which could require them to speed the car up above the speed limit......

The limiters are a part of the ECU programming, I think it's either on or off, just like the rev limiter.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
OakHillVariant said:
Reportedly, you can do it with Lemmiwinks.

On the other hand, Lemmiwinks scares me. I've never tried attacking my engine with it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=1311207

On the third hand, I don't even let my wife drive my car, let alone some friend who I think might play Mario Andretti with it.
you need REVO programming . . . .

·
Registered
917 Posts
crew217 said:
OakHillVariant said:
Reportedly, you can do it with Lemmiwinks.
you need REVO programming . . . .
mmmm ... REVO has some other more stuff that works with their own programming, but Lemmiwinks messes with basic VAG adaptation values. Ones that you can't get to with VAG-COM. Supposed to work with stock programming.

Here's another thread on it:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1262033 There's a few other threads about it on vortex, including one that runs for like 6 or 7 pages.

Actually, these values are ones you probably shouldn't get to. :wink:

But, heck, if he is willing to turn his car into a guinea pig to prevent his friend from racing it, then ...

Warning, though: F. Monger played around with it on his Passat and "bad things" happened to these settings that required a special ECU secret login to resolve. They weren't settings he made, but some brain dead failure caused by Lemmiwinks. Put the values into a terrible state for proper running. It was looking pretty bad for him for a while, until someone from APR bailed him out with the secret login. There is some possibility this might have been related to using a DOS-based version of Windows (Win 95, Win 98, Win Me).

Personally, I wouldn't run this poorly documented, unsupported, and potentially dangerous program against my own engine.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Lemmiwinks (and equivalent software from APR and GIAC) doesn't work on the AEB and ATW engine codes. That's what F. Monger's problem was. It/they only work on the later DBW models.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
PassatVariantPunk said:
Here, give your friend this and a nice big smile:

www.hertz.com

Tell em the Passat is in the shop.
Yep, PVP has the right answer! My wife has only driven my car a couple of times in the past 1.5 years.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Since our cars are "fly by wire", has anyone considered installing a variable resister between the pedal harness and the main harness. Before I get drilled, this is just a thought. It may be totally impossible to do this... What do you think? :weirdo:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.