Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have recently bought my way back into the VW club with the purchase of a 2002 Passat wagon 1.8T. I love the care and it's my first VW since we sold my 97 Jetta almost 5 years ago.

Of course, at my very first fill-up, while I was still in Oneida where I bought the car, I left the gas cap at the gas station (no tether).

Is there a special type of gas cap that I need for the car?

I know that garage isn't supposed to be about "which cap is better?" and a cap is a cap to me. The only reason I'm asking is, on cars I've had in the past, I've been burned buying a generic brand cap, only to be recommended by folks online like yourselves that only specific caps work because they have to hold a certain pressure etc. to turn off the engine light.

Is this something I have to deal with on this car, or will the $10 Rein brand gas cap on ECS do me?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I don't know the difference between the pre-2002 and post-2002 caps but the genuine parts apparently are different while the Rein cap doesn't specify. That and the fact that the Rein cap doesn't include a tether would make me pony up the extra $ for a genuine cap. Or since I'm cheap, I'd probably look on ebay or at a junkyard for a genuine cap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts