Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently replaced my coils and spark plugs on a 03 1.8t passat. Now the cars starts and runs normal, ie no stumbling. Problem is the VAG-COM will not power up now to clear my CEL. The LED doesn't come on. I've plugged the VAG-COM into my truck and it gets power, I'm judging this from the LED coming on. Can anyone point me to a possible solution for the port not suppling power.

Thanks
Dustin

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
Are you talking the cigaret lighter or the OBD connection power

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
33 is the front cigarette lighter
12 is the OBD port

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, its worked a lot. I got it because of an air bag light 2 or 3 years ago. It even worked tuesday when the car started stumbling at idle. But thurday after I put the new coils and plugs in the harness wouldn't power up. I do have an aftermarket radio but the K wire isn't connected.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
if it worked tuesday, then i'd say you knocked back one of the pins, or disconnected or nicked a wire working under the dash and/or reinstalling that bolster.

i say you could have knocked a pin, because it's possible that when pluging into the port you had a previously loose and dislodged pin.

ground one lead on the volt meter, and do a volt check on every port of the obd. compare that with wire information on the port to see which ports are used, and you should be able to tell which wire is bad.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats a good idea, I think its pin 15 on the obd connector that supplies the voltage. If its a knocked back pin, it could even be the ground. I'll definatly try this in the morning.

Thanks again guys.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
well, you only have half of what i mean :p

i mean ANY pin could be out of place.
now, if it's just the small obd device that won't run, then yea. it's the 12+ power pin out of the way, heck, if he checked and got voltage, it could be loose and "springing" like a mechanical pen, in the hole.

oh well, just trying to clarify what i meant. i tend to leave a lot out by accident.

best of luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I got the adapter working, I think

It turned out that the diagnostic port had slipped out of the plastic clamp in the dash. I fished the port back into the clamp. It works now, I can run the test in the VAG-COM software it sees my adapter on com 2 I saved this info. Now my problem is that during the scan process no modules are recognized. Anyone have any advice? I'm using software version 311-2.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes I’m having the same issue I do have an after market radio
Holy zombie thread!
--Does the scan tool (or cable) power on when you plug it into the OBD port? If it does NOT power on, radio has nothing to do with the issue.
If it DOES power on, but you have no communication with anything, the radio MAY be the issue. Easy to (dis)prove: Just pull the radio, and unplug it (along with any adapter cable or interface box that may be present), and try to scan the car again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts