Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is re-posted from my earlier thread, as no one is reading that one:

Is there a site for Passat owners who want to do their own work? My last car was Saab, and Saabnet was awesome. If you were replacing the head gasket, and needed to know how, members would point you five different websites with instructions (most with pictures), and then engage in an argument about the torque wrench specs.

On this site, a member posts a message that he had a supercharger installed in his motor, and he gets 2483 views and 108 pointless messages of congratulations. Not much technical discussion, or info regarding the install b/c he had someone else install it for him. In contrast, my request for the location of a simple electrical item gets 20 views and 1 non-substantive response.

Ok, I'm probably setting myself up to get flamed, and that's not my intention. For the record, I am also very jealous of Julianfang's upgrade. And I appreciate Rusty's response, b/c he wants this info too. But seriously, this site seems useless if we aren't helping each other out.

Mike Powers
2000 v6 5spd Variant

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
So how long have you been around? Give it some time, this website has helped me out in more ways than i could've imagine. Sometimes people don't have the information (which is pretty evident since Rusty is even looking for it) or they don't read every post that hits the forum.

But seriously, this site seems useless if we aren't helping each other out.
Do you seriously believe that no one is helping ever? Just look at the Information section, there are plenty of topics to help people with their problems.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
damn. :oops: :shock:

I'm sorry that I didn't have more substantive information....however, since you asked for it, here's the COMPLETE installation guide http://djjewelz.elitedubs.com/passat/supercharger/g2install.pdf It was pretty straightforward and I would have done it myself if I owned a garage to park my car in. Also, a ton of "technical" knowledge was shared offline and through PM's etc. And people did ask technical questions, which I did my best to respond to.

Give it some time. People will help you out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
For your info, if you want to do your own repairs, the best source would be a Bentley factory repair manual, you can get it for about $65 from Ross-Tech.com along with their excellent diagnostic software.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
on the FAQ, we're working on things like that, but to be honest, i'm not the most technically savvy person. Also, the faq will only be as good as far as what the members contribute to it. And I also know that we have lives and families, etc. The introductory guide is going to be an ongoing process.

hth.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
well i haven't had any problems yet getting the info i want :bow:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
links to repair/mod info

Julianfang,

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. Unfortunately, there is no way I can afford that upgrade, I'm saving pennies for new tires, about the biggest performance upgrade I can handle right now.

I am saving links to various info on Passat stuff (repairs, etc), as I expect to use them. I try to do all of my repairs myself to keep costs down. I suppose my "profile" is a bit different from a guy how can't decide what color to paint his calipers, or from the guy who is wondering what equipment he needs for the track:

I don't care a whole lot about looks or style (I'll keep the VW grill b/c replacing it is purely cosmetic), and my aspirations for a functional car sit somewhere between "better than my old 900 turbo" and "not necessarily my dream car, a 911 turbo" b/c I can't afford that.

I spent $17,000 on my 2000 v6 5spd GLS Variant, and for that price I figure I got a fun, sporty car with good versitility for dogs and the new kid. But, I don't want to spend every dime I've got on my car (got to keep the mountain bike running smooth too), so I avoid dealers like the plague. Plus, I like to wrench, and I know I do things correctly (even if it takes me 10 times as much time as the certified mechanic).

I know there are others that fit this profile....

-Mike

ps Still looking for the [email protected]

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
As many here, I would disagree about the helpfulness from a technical standpoint regarding this site.

I would recommend that you first arm yourself with the necessary manuals. The Haynes manual for the Passat is great for how too's and procedures for regular care and wrench turning.

If you plan on going further in your DIY-it ‘ness, then pick up a copy of the Bentley (electronic recommended). This in combination with a VAG-COM diagnostic cloan is a necessary combo for diagnosing repairs.

Once you make these resources available to yourself, then this site may become more valuable.

There is an amount of knowledge via 'official sources' necessary to be able to work on any car. This has been and, I'm guessing, always will be a site for enthusiasts looking at modification and performance, so many of the more mundane aspects of maintenance may get overlooked as ordinary (at least in detail's).

Best of luck.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Mike,

Have you checked out your local B5 chapter? www.rmcb5.com

We don't have tons of technical information on the site but many of us are very knowledgeable and enjoy sharing our knowledge with others. We do get together very often to have garage days. Back in February, six of us got together and we all changed our timing belts. We learn off each other and learn as we go. Where are you in the "front range"? You need to check out the resources you have locally.

We do a variety of work to our Passats including: suspension, timing belts, wheels, electrical stuff, various hose replacement, interior mods, exterior mods and just recently we have a paint booth set up...a bunch of us have vag-coms too.

·
Registered
991 Posts
As Pass-Variant said, you need to arm youself with the proper literature and tools.

It sounds like you would like to do a lot of work on your car, instead of getting it serviced by others. You then need to get equipped with books, instead of asking others WHO have the books to look things up for you. Well, I am not against looking things up for fellow B5'ers who want to do the occasional maintenance type of work themselves, but if you are going deep, then you need to get the stuff youself, instead of continuously asking others.

Looking at your post counts, you have not been here that long. Well, this site has been a tremendous resource for me to my upgrade and maintenance work, but I do my homework first before I ask questions. I have contributed an article or two for others' benefits over the years that I have been here.

So, in conclusion, we are here to help, but please do what you got to do first. It is the sharing of information that is not in the Bentley manuals makes this place invaluable.

P.S. Do get a VAG-COM. It will help you a lot! However, get the book first.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think Mike has a valid point. I don't bother checking posts in the "General Discussion" forum very often because too often they have titles like "New Pics of my Ride (56k beware)" or "I smoked a Honduh last night" or "How do I change my oil?".

I know folks are working on a FAQ, right? That will help some. But perhaps it is time that we introduce a "Technical Discussion" forum which would be for discussion of technical/repair issues only. That would leave the "General" forum for things that are less technical in nature.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Well, as much as i can understand that you are looking for the more practical/technical ways of CB5, since all you want is the way to repair things yourself and take care of your own vehicle, Club :b5: is dedicated to all area of the :b5: 's. I wish i was as technical as you :bow: (i can do all basics, maintenance, oil changes, filters, etc..) but i like everyting about CB5, including the small talks, the GTG and how enthusiastic and passionate the members are.
I personally think that CB5 is a great club, and as far as technical goes, the only few questions i had were answered and solved within a day :thumbup: .

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Mike,

There's so many pages in the Bentley Manual about the brakes and ABS system for me to scan. And it's not in front of me right now. You say you are someone who'd rather do repairs yourself. I highly recommend getting at least the Bentley Manual.

If you can't find info on how to repair this or that, or no one replied to your inquiries, maybe no one else came across that problem. Or no one else fixed the problem themselves. Or people just don't read through all the threads.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
velo said:
I think Mike has a valid point. I don't bother checking posts in the "General Discussion" forum very often because too often they have titles like "New Pics of my Ride (56k beware)" or "I smoked a Honduh last night" or "How do I change my oil?".

I know folks are working on a FAQ, right? That will help some. But perhaps it is time that we introduce a "Technical Discussion" forum which would be for discussion of technical/repair issues only. That would leave the "General" forum for things that are less technical in nature.
The FAQ is going to try and address common new member questions that get asked and re-asked every day or two. Otherwise we'd be working the FAQ forever to get every little question answered.

As far as detailed technical questions, my take is that those questions should be posted and hopefully resolved by the community. Sometimes we just don't have the answer, or the person that has the answer hasn't read your thread, so who knows...

Maybe a technical forum is warranted, but I've learned a lot of from reading random posts here and there. You never know what you're going ot learn.

Car styling and having fun is just as important for some of the members as having a detailed technical understanding of our cars.

·
Registered
303 Posts
julianfang said:
As far as detailed technical questions, my take is that those questions should be posted and hopefully resolved by the community. Sometimes we just don't have the answer, or the person that has the answer hasn't read your thread, so who knows...

Maybe a technical forum is warranted, but I've learned a lot of from reading random posts here and there. You never know what you're going ot learn.

Car styling and having fun is just as important for some of the members as having a detailed technical understanding of our cars.
I totally agree with you Julian, but I think some technical questions that could be answered go unnoticed because they get lost in the "noise" of the general forum. Just as we have the "mobile electronics" and "wheel/tire" forums, a DIY or technical forum would help keep CB5 better organized and more useful to all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts