Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 JL 12W6v2s and I want to build a box and bolt it to the deck in the trunk. Is it strong enough to hold it? The box will of course be made of 3/4 MDF and have some 1/2 plexi. I want the subs to be mounted upside down shooting into the floor of the truck but I don't know if the deck is strong enough to support it. Thanks :)

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
Zach,
The deck will hold it but it won't be necessary. The box will be plenty big enough that it will go all the way down. I just build some sturdy legs on the face of the box and turn it upside down. Make sure you have 3"-4" of space between the sub and the floor or you'll strangle the sub and bass output will drop.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The deck won't have any problems holding that weight, IMO. Just bolt close to the outer frame of the rear deck and use washers. :) If I were doing it, I'd cut the rear deck metal and fire those things directly into the cabin. :weirdo:

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
Actually firing it into the floor will usually give you 3-6dB increase over firing it into the read of the car. Also it reduces the audible distortion and makes the sub(s) harder to localize. A lot of home subs fire into the floor for these reasons.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I made a single 10 that fired down and it sounded great in the B5. I'm sure if you build something that suspends from the deck it'll sound great. Nice thing about this config is that you keep to keep fold down access depending on the depth of your box. I've found that most 12" subs are about 6-7" deep. The accessible deck width of the B5 is about 38". I'm assuming you're going sealed, right? I'd fire down rather than back. It'll make the box shallower from the deck and give you more volume under the enclosure. :)

-Mark

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The box isn't going to be so big that it will abstruct the view of my NX tank from the rear. I just want a decent setup that will show off my subs and amps. I should have this done and picts posted by the end of the month. I know that's a while but this is a busy month- 1 bachelor party and 1 wedding. I will be too hung over on the weekends to do anything :D

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IDriveB5 said:
i wouldnt allow the rear deck to take the weight of the box and subs. my rear deck flexes some with two amps and a cap mounted on it.
Really, damn it :mad: I will think of something, am am set on this :) I guess I could use legs or something. I am going to stop by my moms house to check out her ride and get a few ideas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.