Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 and i am trying to find a power steering pump to no avail. But all the pumps i see look identical, but all web sites say that it wont fit an 04? only 03 and down... did something change in 04?

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
No, the V6 and 1.8T are not the same. I don't know why the 04-05 would be any different than the 03 and down. I expect they will work fine. What engine do you have?

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
The 01.5-03 cars use the 8D0145156 F part and the later models use the 3B0422154H.
For vehicles with VIN from 3B-4-000 001 only, split is in the 2004 model year. With the low number listed, I expect nearly all of the 04 use the latter number. They both use the same mounting bracket, so I expect either one would fit.

Here are both pumps and probably OEM as they list as Bosch ZF made:
Old model: Audi Power Steering Pump - Bosch ZF 8D0145156F
04+ model: Volkswagen Power Steering Pump (Passat) - Bosch ZF 3B0422154H

You can also find aftermarket parts cheaper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 01.5-03 cars use the 8D0145156 F part and the later models use the 3B0422154H.
For vehicles with VIN from 3B-4-000 001 only, split is in the 2004 model year. With the low number listed, I expect nearly all of the 04 use the latter number. They both use the same mounting bracket, so I expect either one would fit.

Here are both pumps and probably OEM as they list as Bosch ZF made:
Old model: Audi Power Steering Pump - Bosch ZF 8D0145156F
04+ model: Volkswagen Power Steering Pump (Passat) - Bosch ZF 3B0422154H

You can also find aftermarket parts cheaper.
Thank You sir!

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
I would also replace the small rubber inlet hose that goes on the right side of the pump. It's often is brittle/hard and may not seal properly once removed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also replace the small rubber inlet hose that goes on the right side of the pump. It's often is brittle/hard and may not seal properly once removed.
Okay I replaced the pump and That hose. Flushed the fluid with pentosin. The whine of the PS pump is quite the, but now I feel like the wine is coming from the ac compressor?? Any experience with that? It sounds EXACTLY like loud winey Power steering, but the sound ch ages when you turn the ac on.

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
Are you sure it's not the belt tensioner? Use a mechanic's stethoscope to narrow the noise. A long metal rod/pipe would work, but you need to touch a non-moving surface.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure it's not the belt tensioner? Use a mechanic's stethoscope to narrow the noise. A long metal rod/pipe would work, but you need to touch a non-moving surface.
The noise is coming from the drivers side, it could be the fan pulley as i heard noise coming from it. But it is more than likely the compressor, because it seems like more sound and vibration is coming from it when i put my ear up to it. Do multiple VWs share the same compressor? Or do you think i could just rebuild the thing?

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
I don't know if the compressors are interchangeable. The 1.8T one is mounted on the opposite side, so it would be upside down on the V6. I don't know if that makes a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts