Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
The 1857 points to a fault with the ECU. Have you checked that to make sure it all looks free of water damage? Can't remember if you would be able to tell by looking at it
The tcm? Or ecu? I have rewired the tcm and put a whole new harness on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
When I got the other harness of the tcm there are 3 brown wires and they are different sizes compared to the wires that were in my car. And there was a purple and green on the harness and I didn't have one to match that so I hook it up to the color that was the odd one out on my car.

·
Registered
26,826 Posts
I did not go back and read everything, but the P1857 is often a MAF sensor and that will certainly screw up the trans behavior .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Ok I'll check that when I get home. I've heard about the MAF interfering with the transmission and I thought that was crazy but working on this car I've learned to jot question anything anymore lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I did not go back and read everything, but the P1857 is often a MAF sensor and that will certainly screw up the trans behavior .
I checked it and the MAF is fine connector was ok and I changed it not too long ago. I drove it with one TCM in and it shifted ok 2nd gear it revved high and then it'll shift and every other gear fine but the reverse jolts still and the engine still has movement after replacing the mounts. Then when that TCM went into limp mode, I came to a complete stop and pressed the gas and it struggled to move and there was a whining. I turned the car off and plugged the other one in and drove it. The other one shifted in first gear fine but all other gears were terrible then it went into limp mode and I came to a complete stop and then pressed the gas and it went fine but once it went into second gear it went into high rpms and wouldn't shift. So I have no clue what to check it probably is the TCM or some wiring but I don't know what to check anymore I feel like I've checked everything.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
have you checked the pin-outs at the plug that goes into the TCM for specified resistance i.e. MV-1 solenoid should have a value of 30-34 ohms, when checking with multimeter (ohm setting) between pin numbers #30 & #52. The numbers are difficult to see, but are marked at the ends of the connector (illumination a must). As a sidebar to this, pin numbers #52 & #53 should read 0 (zero) ohms between themselves and 0 ohms individually to the car body (ground) they are the internal valve solenoids ground and are redundant in nature, if one fails the other is a "backup". The reason I check there at the TCM connector is because it can check all the wiring from the TCM to the internals of the transmission shifting module. I do not have the wiring diagram from the ECU to the TCM yet, however ,if you can find it (wiring pin out diagram) you could check/verify the communication continuity between those two components also.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
have you checked the pin-outs at the plug that goes into the TCM for specified resistance i.e. MV-1 solenoid should have a value of 30-34 ohms, when checking with multimeter (ohm setting) between pin numbers #30 & #52. The numbers are difficult to see, but are marked at the ends of the connector (illumination a must). As a sidebar to this, pin numbers #52 & #53 should read 0 (zero) ohms between themselves and 0 ohms individually to the car body (ground) they are the internal valve solenoids ground and are redundant in nature, if one fails the other is a "backup". The reason I check there at the TCM connector is because it can check all the wiring from the TCM to the internals of the transmission shifting module. I do not have the wiring diagram from the ECU to the TCM yet, however ,if you can find it (wiring pin out diagram) you could check/verify the communication continuity between those two components also.
I will try that tomorrow so I just stick it against the metal pieces and get the reading? What if the reading is bad that means the wiring is bad?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
you have to disconnect plug from TCM ,looking inside you will (light required) see the pin out numbers at the ends of the rows, you will have to then carefully count in to corresponding numbers, and insert some small pins like a sewing pin as I doubt if your multimeter probes will fit into tiny slots. This diagram is listed as for the 5-HP-19 tranny BUT listed as for BMW ,I have YET to confirm it also is the same with VW. I know the solenoids being on or off in the top of chart is different for the VW and will post that chart next.
TCM pin outs.jpg

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
sorry but just as a precautionary note!!!!!!! ,the wire colors shown in the internal transmission diagram in post #92 do not necessarily transfer/are not the same (some may be) the same wire colors in the external harness connecting to it.......I will look today for the external harness "pigtail" that I scavenged and see if I can translate what colors they are, of course if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
this appears to be it , however will double check, and as to my previous post regarding colors "changing" going from internal to external, as an example inside the trans. , the turbine speed sensor colors are blue and blue, externally are changed to wht. (white) and brn (brown) and as wiring diagram illustrates and my personal (handmade) drawings go to the proper #44 and#16 terminals respectively on the TCM ......excellent job. PM me with link,as I do not want to lose it at this point in time, Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
to help with cross referencing the solenoids as they are numbered different in each of the previous posted diagrams they are as follows with the last number 1-7 solenoids being in reference to the wiring diagram you provided;
N-88=MV1=1 N-89=MV2=2 N-90=MV3=3 N91=EDS1=4 N-92=EDS2=5 N-93=EDS3=6 N94=EDS4=7

as an example, according to the solenoid logic chart solenoid N93 looks like it could be a possible "suspect" since it deals with not only reverse, but shifting thru 2nd gear.......to check it, you would measure ohms between the pinouts numbers #29 and either #52 or #53 (they are redundant grounds for the solenoids) on the TCM connector. Thus the ohm reading on the chart (post #90 on thread) should be 6.2-7.8 ohms for that solenoid. Hope this helps, I need to go take an aspirin, whew!

btw MV valves are used to control flow direction, EDS valves are used to direct pressure with EDS1=N91=4, being modulated pressure

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
to help with cross referencing the solenoids as they are numbered different in each of the previous posted diagrams they are as follows with the last number 1-7 solenoids being in reference to the wiring diagram you provided;
N-88=MV1=1 N-89=MV2=2 N-90=MV3=3 N91=EDS1=4 N-92=EDS2=5 N-93=EDS3=6 N94=EDS4=7

as an example, according to the solenoid logic chart solenoid N93 looks like it could be a possible "suspect" since it deals with not only reverse, but shifting thru 2nd gear.......to check it, you would measure ohms between the pinouts numbers #29 and either #52 or #53 (they are redundant grounds for the solenoids) on the TCM connector. Thus the ohm reading on the chart (post #90 on thread) should be 6.2-7.8 ohms for that solenoid. Hope this helps, I need to go take an aspirin, whew!

btw MV valves are used to control flow direction, EDS valves are used to direct pressure with EDS1=N91=4, being modulated pressure
Passats are a headache 😂 but I just love the way it drives and the information I've got from you guys and working on this car will go a long way.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
hang in there ,key is being methodical and patient which at times can be a PAIN IN THE ASS......anyway hopefully I helped you now and in the future ,that wiring diagram was spot on, and really helped me turn the corner hopefully to solving my problems

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
hang in there ,key is being methodical and patient which at times can be a PAIN IN THE ASS......anyway hopefully I helped you now and in the future ,that wiring diagram was spot on, and really helped me turn the corner hopefully to solving my problems
You're welcome glad I could help and thank you for your help Ive got some probes small enough to fit in the tcm so I'll try that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Went back and found out my TCMs weren't even matching model numbers so I went and got one from a pull a part for $25 and I'm going to rewire this one and see how that goes. Then I'm going to run the tcm harness through my glove box and let it sit in there so I don't have to worry about anymore water damage.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts