Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I found a leak next to my transmission pan I found out that its behind the connector for the TCM, But I don't know if the piece has an o ring to stop it for leaking or what. I can't find anything about it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I changed the sensor and nothings changed and I had to change both engine mounts as well. I checked vcds my tranmission fluid is staying at 47 degrees celcius and I also checked and it said that the solenoid valve 3 n90 was not active idk what that means. When I drive it it'll still have the hard reverse but when driving it'll shift from 1st to second but it'll Rev into high rpms and won't shift out of 2nd.
You replaced the MFS so you should have fixed the related code. If you reset the codes and the related MFS code reappears then that's a pretty good indicator there's a wiring issue (or maybe the shifter wire?). Concerning the codes you have for solenoid shorts it's either there's a short or those solenoids are bad. I've never had that problem and I don't know how to test solenoids. Also you may have an actual internal transmission problem, but I think until you tackle those codes it's too soon to say. What you need is the factory diagram that shows which solenoids control which gears for your transmission. If you have FWD 1.8T then I believe it's 01V. I have seen something like that posted I just don't recall how to find it or where it is offhand. It's like a chart with Xs showing if this and this solenoid are active then this gear is active, etc. If anyone knows please post it. (Edit: Found it, cchief had referenced it earlier.)

I found a leak next to my transmission pan I found out that its behind the connector for the TCM, But I don't know if the piece has an o ring to stop it for leaking or what. I can't find anything about it.
I suggest download the B5.5 ETKA for the exploded view charts, see this post. When google drive is open click 'Download all' and save the PDFs to a folder. There is an exploded view of the transmission in its section and also a better one in electrical systems (for some reason?). See page 35 in electrical, maybe you can find out which seal it is. Note there are multiple transmission models and engine models the ETKA has everything together.

1575070758660.png 1575071128800.png

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The wiring harness has a "quarter turn" twist lock and of course has internal seals which maybe dried out or "tired" the internal wiring loom for the solenoids and sensors (the other half of the quarter turn connector) has maybe ? two? o-rings that seal it to transmission housing ,it is inserted from the inside to the outside and held in place by a stainless flat c-shape,I'll see if I can find the P/Nd clip. O-rings can be replaced when doing a transmission service....they are readily available, I'll see if I can find P/N

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
The wiring harness has a "quarter turn" twist lock and of course has internal seals which maybe dried out or "tired" the internal wiring loom for the solenoids and sensors (the other half of the quarter turn connector) has maybe ? two? o-rings that seal it to transmission housing ,it is inserted from the inside to the outside and held in place by a stainless flat c-shape,I'll see if I can find the P/Nd clip. O-rings can be replaced when doing a transmission service....they are readily available, I'll see if I can find P/N
So can I just grab any o rings? I'm planning on just taking them out and riding to advanced or whatever and just asking them.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
passat03wagon beat me to it (not hard to do) the o-rings are parts #21 (2 of them) They might be some kind VW "moon polymer" but you have to drop pan to replace.....but while in there if you find by checking resistence/ohms etc. a bad component now would be the time to replace

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
passat03wagon beat me to it (not hard to do) the o-rings are parts #21 (2 of them) They might be some kind VW "moon polymer" but you have to drop pan to replace.....but while in there if you find by checking resistence/ohms etc. a bad component now would be the time to replace
So I have to get special round seals or o-rings? They can't just be any o-rings?

·
Administrator
23,408 Posts
OEM or possibly Viton o-rings where ever you can find the right size.

·
Registered
303 Posts
They don't spec a lot of the o-ring sizes in ETKA including the one we're talking about 01V927322A. I think it would be hard to find an exact replacement because even if you use a caliper you are measuring an old o-ring that has likely shrunk. I once went with a "close enough" generic one from Home Depot that I used as a coolant o-ring and it failed after 2 years. 2 years is 2 years but .5mm or whatever it was apparently makes all the difference between 2 years and 10 years. And when it comes to materials who knows, buna nitrile etc etc, like can you really be sure viton will last. This o-ring is also OEM white and I don't think any of the o-rings I've replaced have ever been white, it's probably a special material.

audiusaparts has them for $5 each with free shipping, that's probably your best bet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
They don't spec a lot of the o-ring sizes in ETKA including the one we're talking about 01V927322A. I think it would be hard to find an exact replacement because even if you use a caliper you are measuring an old o-ring that has likely shrunk. I once went with a "close enough" generic one from Home Depot that I used as a coolant o-ring and it failed after 2 years. 2 years is 2 years but .5mm or whatever it was apparently makes all the difference between 2 years and 10 years. And when it comes to materials who knows, buna nitrile etc etc, like can you really be sure viton will last. This o-ring is also OEM white and I don't think any of the o-rings I've replaced have ever been white, it's probably a special material.

audiusaparts has them for $5 each with free shipping, that's probably your best bet.
I went ahead and just got the oem rings. I went ahead and pulled the pan and there are no metal shavings in the fluid or pan so that's great. I'll fill It up correctly with vagcom connected to make sure I'm doing everything correct. Thank you everyone who has helped me. I'll post an update if I everything works out or not.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If the O rings don't solve your issue and it comes down to an electrical short.

I think I mentioned this but not sure. A short can be difficult to locate especially if it's in the harness. I had to have a shop that specifically deals with transmission diag my issue. They scoped the harness and found a wire that grounded out. In turn shorted 1 or 2 solenoid's and my TCM. 2 other shops wanted to replace the trans after they checked it out. So either they knew what the real issue was and attempted to overcharge me for work that wasn't going to be done or they were going to replace the trans and it wouldn't have even fixed the issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
If the O rings don't solve your issue and it comes down to an electrical short.

I think I mentioned this but not sure. A short can be difficult to locate especially if it's in the harness. I had to have a shop that specifically deals with transmission diag my issue. They scoped the harness and found a wire that grounded out. In turn shorted 1 or 2 solenoid's and my TCM. 2 other shops wanted to replace the trans after they checked it out. So either they knew what the real issue was and attempted to overcharge me for work that wasn't going to be done or they were going to replace the trans and it wouldn't have even fixed the issue.
I'll check that too I had to call the dealer for the o rings and I'm picking them up when Im off Friday and I should have it up and running by Sunday hopefully.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts