Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 Passat lags and shifts hard when going into reverse and going into second gear it jolts and shifts hard as well, all the other gears shift fine. When I go into reverse the engine moves a good bit.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
you need to follow "fill" protocol (level,up to temp,correct fluid,procedure,etc.) before anything else.... then go from there in your diagnosis.....go to "search community" tons of info there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you need to follow "fill" protocol (level,up to temp,correct fluid,procedure,etc.) before anything else.... then go from there in your diagnosis.....go to "search community" tons of info there
Ok ill check that I just filled it up yesterday and ive cleaned the pan and changed the filter like a week ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But did you follow the exact fill procedure? Are you certain the tranny is not under-filled?
Let me check but what I did is I filled it up until it started to pour let it run then filled it up again and did the same thing about 3 times.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Ok ill check that I just filled it up yesterday and ive cleaned the pan and changed the filter like a week ago.
If you had the pan off to change the filter, you should have put in 9 liters of oil. Anything less is under filled.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Actually, it'll be slightly less because of the oil lines and whatever the oil capacity is inside the radiator.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, it'll be slightly less because of the oil lines and whatever the oil capacity is inside the radiator.
OK sounds good so it sounds more like a low fluid problem then an actual transmission problem? If so that'd be great news.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
OK sounds good so it sounds more like a low fluid problem then an actual transmission problem? If so that'd be great news.
Quite possibly.
Hopefully you haven't compromised the oil pump inside the transmission.

The way to fill a Passat transmission (automatic that is).
With the engine off, remove the plug (17mm hex key) in the bottom of the oil pan, fill with fluid until it spills out.
Start the car at idle only, and continue to fill with oil until it spills out again.
Re-insert the oil plug.
Now you can turn the engine off.
This is a very simplistic version of the procedure. The Bentley Manual is your ultimate guide.

The Passat transmission keeps about 4 - 5 liters of oil in suspension while running and then when the engine shuts off, most of the oil drains back into the pan.
If you could have a transparent oil pan on the transmission, you'd see the oil level is much higher than the pan when the car is off.
The transmission oil fill procedure on the Passat is unique to that of other cars. Probably why many people have issues after changing out the trans fluid.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
you also need to put car in D and R....... and as you mentioned continue to run engine, the reason you bring tranny up to temp. is to get fluid into radiator/tranny cooler section an extra liter or so there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quite possibly.
Hopefully you haven't compromised the oil pump inside the transmission.

The way to fill a Passat transmission (automatic that is).
With the engine off, remove the plug (17mm hex key) in the bottom of the oil pan, fill with fluid until it spills out.
Start the car at idle only, and continue to fill with oil until it spills out again.
Re-insert the oil plug.
Now you can turn the engine off.
This is a very simplistic version of the procedure. The Bentley Manual is your ultimate guide.

The Passat transmission keeps about 4 - 5 liters of oil in suspension while running and then when the engine shuts off, most of the oil drains back into the pan.
If you could have a transparent oil pan on the transmission, you'd see the oil level is much higher than the pan when the car is off.
The transmission oil fill procedure on the Passat is unique to that of other cars. Probably why many people have issues after changing out the trans fluid.
I will get some more fluid and try this thanks so much for the help. My problem was I never put the 17mm bolt back on while the car was running so whenever I turned it off the fluid would come out.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
there is the drain plug 16mm and the fill plug 30mm (that you use snorkel tube to fill tranny with/at), I assume when you say 17mm, it refers to the size allen wrench you use to turn the 30mm /large plug....do not forget tranny is to be level and up to temp,also put in drive and reverse to "load" their hydraulic passageways while running.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is the drain plug 16mm and the fill plug 30mm (that you use snorkel tube to fill tranny with/at), I assume when you say 17mm, it refers to the size allen wrench you use to turn the 30mm /large plug....do not forget tranny is to be level and up to temp,also put in drive and reverse to "load" their hydraulic passageways while running.....
I used a vinyl tubing and to pump it I just put it in a gallon bug sprayer.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If you didn't have shifting issues before the service you don't have enough fluid. What fluid are you using?

As mentioned but in my wording.

The car needs to be level front to back and side to side (Four jack stands) and cold. Have the car running while filling. When it starts to drip out have someone go through all the gears with foot firmly on brake. Top off till fluid starts dripping out again then replace fill plug.

The fluid has to be a certain temp but if you don't have VagCom to monitor it then the correct temp is done by feeling the pan. (I have VC and when it's at the correct temp the pan is almost cold to the touch. If it is getting warm then the fluid is too warm and you will get an inadequate amount of fluid back in.

This is why it helps to have an extra person so you don't have to keep climbing out from under and to get the fluid topped off before it starts getting too warm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you didn't have shifting issues before the service you don't have enough fluid. What fluid are you using?

As mentioned but in my wording.

The car needs to be level front to back and side to side (Four jack stands) and cold. Have the car running while filling. When it starts to drip out have someone go through all the gears with foot firmly on brake. Top off till fluid starts dripping out again then replace fill plug.

The fluid has to be a certain temp but if you don't have VagCom to monitor it then the correct temp is done by feeling the pan. (I have VC and when it's at the correct temp the pan is almost cold to the touch. If it is getting warm then the fluid is too warm and you will get an inadequate amount of fluid back in.

This is why it helps to have an extra person so you don't have to keep climbing out from under and to get the fluid topped off before it starts getting too warm.
I use valvoline max life dex/merc fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the same in mine and no issues....Keep us posted on the final results.
I will be doing it tomorrow since I'll be off work and I'll let everyone know what happens. Thank you and everyone else for the help you guys provided.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
You mentioned engine movement going into reverse. Have someone watch the rear of the transmission (laying down alongside the car) to see if it move much there. I've had failed transmission mounts before, which cause quite a clunk when the trans lifts, then drops back down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the same in mine and no issues....Keep us posted on the final results.
I filled up the transmission fluid in every gear while running until it started to pour and put the 17mm bolt back on while running and it's still having the same problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You mentioned engine movement going into reverse. Have someone watch the rear of the transmission (laying down alongside the car) to see if it move much there. I've had failed transmission mounts before, which cause quite a clunk when the trans lifts, then drops back down.
Yep the transmission jolted a lot when put in reverse so I'm just going to go ahead and replace both of them and see what that does.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts