Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... here is the story. I was driving down the highway, I heard a pop and then my car became unresponsive to the acceleration pedal. I immediately let off the gas pulled over and turned my car off. I new immediately what had happened. I broke the timing belt.

However, after taking the upper timing belt cover off I noticed that the belt was not completely broken (as you can see from the pictures). A narrow strip had been peeled away and obviously weakened the integrity of the belt.

So here is my question. Is the engine, in my situation (and please view photos to help make a judgment) damaged as usually happens when a timing belt breaks? Or could I have gotten lucky and what happened was that the part of the timing belt that was stripped away got caught somewhere along the timing belts path and hampered the engine from spinning properly?

Is it safe to say that as long as the teeth on the belt were not slipping then damage might not have occured? Or is there most likely damage even if what happened was that the belt got caught on something and hampered the engine from spinning properly?

What is my best course of action? Do I have to have someone open up the engine to find out? Thanks for your help.

Gavin

http://www.google.com/base/a/1375110/D6157052037416919339

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
oh boy, from the pics it dont look to good especially since you say the car died.
maybe just the tensioner froze and you are lucky, best case senario
how many miles on that bad boy?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on the car or the belt? The car has 118,000 on it and the belt probably has 12-18K on it. I did the repair myself last summer (2005). I guess I should have taken it in to a shop to do the work.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
First pull all the plugs and try rotating the crankshaft by hand. You'll get a bit of resistance from the valve springs, but you should be able to crank it two full revolutions. Make sure that both the upper and lower end are moving.

If it passes, change the belt and try a compression test. If you get good results, do an entire T-belt job and consider yourself very lucky.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Well since a new motor equals$$$. You said you did it your self, pull the car in to service position, pop out the plugs and rotate the motor, if all the marks line up I would think you would be fine. Someone please confirm this

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not gonna lie... I'm kind of scared to put my hands on this car again. I mean, I felt like the TB repair was fairly simple and straight forward, but look where I am. Obviously I didn't have the knowledge or technical abilities that I thought I did.

·
Super Moderator
14,069 Posts
hmmm, not good that the engine died. These pictures remind me of the other thread where the timing belt pulley was put on backwards and the person had damage on the edge of the belt. I'll see if I can find that thread. Dang, I can't find it but his belt was looking like yours does.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope not that I could see (regarding the pulley). And the engine didn't die. I turned the engine off because I remembered reading a thread that said if your timing belt goes turn the engine off as soon as you can. Now I'm not sure if the engine will turn over or not but I don't want to test it with fear of causing more damage.

·
Super Moderator
14,069 Posts
Take the covers off turn the crank with a wrench and check if your timing marks still line up. If they do your golden and just need to replace the belt. If they are close you might be looking at minor (comparitively) damage like a few bent valves. If they are off a lot, I don't want to even think about it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'll give this a shot tomorrow and see what happens. I'll keep you guys updated and as usual I appreciate all of your input.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok here is my plan for tomorrow. Unplug the spark plugs, remove the TB covers and then crank the engine two revolutions and then see if the timing marks are still aligned. Does this sound right? I don't have to put the car into the service position for this do I?

Also, if at this moment the timing marks are already way out of wack, is it safe to say that engine damage probably happened?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
You'll have a tough time getting to the crank without putting it in service position, but give it a shot. I don't think you'll get a clear view of the timing mark without some crazy mirror setup.

How do you define way out, like 90 degrees?

PS- Don't forget to put it in neutral for the hand crank.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Ok here is my plan for tomorrow. Unplug the spark plugs, remove the TB covers and then crank the engine two revolutions and then see if the timing marks are still aligned. Does this sound right? I don't have to put the car into the service position for this do I?

Also, if at this moment the timing marks are already way out of wack, is it safe to say that engine damage probably happened?
Ya put it in service postion, it will be easier, also if the marks dont line up you have problems

1 - 20 of 32 Posts