Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got the Passat and all is fine, BUT, apparently it only has one key? I didnt bother to ask because I just didnt think about it at all. I need a second key! And what about the emoboliser key and security code? My question is, is it the dealers responsibility to provide me with these? They are tryin to charge me to cut a second key, im guessing that going to be expensive because of the chip in the keys. Anyone know how much?

Im hopeing someone tells me this should be covered under warrenty and they should do it . . .

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
a brand new passat comes with two switch blade keys and a valet key. Don't let them fool you. Call other dealers if you have to. Double check

kevin

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Last I checked, they only have to give you as many keys as they have. They don't have to make new ones if the previous owner lost them. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
They screwed me too. Oh well, no repeat business for them f'ers. You can get an uncut key fob for $50 on eBay :thumbup: ...maybe one of these days these VW dealerships will learn how to treat a possible future repeat customer, but probably not :weirdo: :weirdo: :weirdo:

BTW The manual shows all the keys, maybe you can use that as leverage

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually i bought a used 2001 passat a few months ago and it only came with one key. If your smart enough you make a big fuss over that you need to keys. I mean if you lose one, the only one you have it could take 2 months to get in. So knowing that the dealer couldn't refuse me. Besides if they want to make a sale they will almost go to any lenghts. By the way those keys cost about $150.00.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I'm assuming that your reference to a security code is about the radio? If so they should be able to provide you with that. Regarding your key issue, I know that my local VW dealer has gone far beyond what I would have expected when I purchased my used 2002 from them. Even to this day all of my concerns, warranty issues, etc., have been dealt with very quickly and with no out of pocket expenses. The only things I have paid for is my 5K service stops. I think your dealer should at least split the cost of getting a new key for your :b5: . If they can't do that then they are one lame ass dealer and you might want to look into contacting your local VW Rep.. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ripped the radio out already thats gone. The manual told me theres a security code for the immobolizer.

How do I find the contact details for the local rep?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Mike,
My 99 B5 came with main key, second key and service key as well as 2 banjo type remote fobs.
Its worth kicking a stink about it if all you have is one key coz a second key is like $300+ - it aint cheap which is why they are trying to make you pay!
They have to get it from Germany and because the Aus B5 models have the immoboliser they need to be synced with existing keys etc etc .
What I and others have done is use the second key and mod it to fit the newer flip-blade remotes which makes it more compact that key and banjo remote.

Oh wait ... does the 98 have remote?

Also VW is structured a bit different in the USA.
The head office is in Sydney with dealers in each state.
VOLKSWAGEN GROUP AUSTRALIA PTY LIMITED
24 HOUR CUSTOMER ENQUIRY LINE FREECALL 1800 060 936
24 HOUR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE FREECALL 1800 637 181
HEAD OFFICE
6 Lord St Botany 2019 (02) 9695 6000

You might want to contact the customer enquiry line and confirm what the 98 models came with.
As for the radio immoboliser code it should be a thin black plactic strip in your VW Handbook. But as you have done I replace the Europox with a JVC headunit so probably not an issue.

·
Registered
990 Posts
When I bought my 99 the only "had " the valet key but I kept on pestering them until they cut a brand new key for free. Keep trying..

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rukas said:
Ok I got the Passat and all is fine, BUT, apparently it only has one key? I didnt bother to ask because I just didnt think about it at all. I need a second key! And what about the emoboliser key and security code? My question is, is it the dealers responsibility to provide me with these? They are tryin to charge me to cut a second key, im guessing that going to be expensive because of the chip in the keys. Anyone know how much?

Im hopeing someone tells me this should be covered under warrenty and they should do it . . .
The dealer only has to supply the key or keys that were given to them at trade in. If the car is VW certified there should be atleast 2 keys. Having two keys are part of the certification criteria.

·
Registered
381 Posts
With a used car, you get what you get. That is the cold hard fact. If you already bought the car, then you have lost all bargaining power. You might have been able to get them to get a key made for you as a condition of sale, but now that they have your money (unless they are an above average dealership) forget it. :cry:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ Yeah, I didnt even think to ask them about the keys, I just assumed they were all there :(

I did get them to change the timing belt and tensioner and the tie rod ends before buying it. Ill kick up a fuss and say Ill contact the head office and see what they do...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
if the dealer is being an a$$ about it, i would go to ebay for cheap uncut keys, get them cut, might have to be from dealership and you might need the dealership to program the key for ur immobilizer, i know u can do it with a vag-com, but you need to have the right codes, which u wont get from them. they will get ur money, i would go to another dealership, or tell them, give me keys or i walk and see what they say.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealer rang me today with a price, Au$157 for the key and AU$50 to get it programmed. I told him if he is not prepared to pay for it, to give me the contact details for the VW head office (as Kosmos pointed out we have no VW reps here), as soon as I said that he said he would talk to his boss about covering the cost.

So we will see. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts