Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yup.. how do I found out if I have Monsoon or not?
I don't have the little 'monsoon' logo printed on the cassette lid of my DD, but the car is a GLX so I think it's 'supposed' to be Monsoon.
:rolleyes:

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
if it is a sedan, it will have an amp mounted under the rear deck on the right hand side as you look in the trunk. if it doesn't have a monsoon, the amp will not be there.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so amp=monsoon.
well I got a variant, and yup there is an amp in the little compartment in the back. cool.
thanks man.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,308 Posts
It should say monsoon on the little screen on startup...at least it did on my 2004 GLS w/monsoon

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I m the second owner, and I suspect that my HU was changed and may not be a monsoon anymore. it doesn t say monsoon when I turn it on...
the amp is in the back tho.

is there any other way for me to verify if it's indeed a monsoon HU or not other than the "monsoon welcome" screen?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you should already know the answer since you answered the qquestion yourself in post #3 in this thread.
not really.. because I suspect that the current HU was replaced by a NonMonsoon HU.

my point is I do have the amp in the back, but the HU might still not be Monsoon.. can i verify that?
are both HUs different, or is the amp the only difference between monsoon and non-monsoon?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
changing the HU doesn't mean you don't have Monsoon. the amp is what makes it a Monsoon system, not the HU.

the HUs are the same but programmed differently. it's a quick job for a dealer to do. you could even do it with a VAG.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
changing the HU doesn't mean you don't have Monsoon. the amp is what makes it a Monsoon system, not the HU.

the HUs are the same but programmed differently. it's a quick job for a dealer to do. you could even do it with a VAG.
OK. now can I somehow check if my HU is programed for monsoon if I don't have a VAG?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that must be why the sound isn't that great then. shit.

is it a hard job with a VAG? I could use the locator and find someone close to me, but it won't work if none of us know how to reprogram the HU. Do you know how to do this? if so maybe I can hit you up on aim?

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Paul's (quality sound) response will be: The sound from a Monsoon system isn't going to be that great anyways.

He really dislikes them and prefers ...other setups.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul's (quality sound) response will be: The sound from a Monsoon system isn't going to be that great anyways.
He really dislikes them and prefers ...other setups.
yea I m conscious of that, but if I can a lil' better quality at no extra cost why not do it...
I would upgrade my HU, but I really like the steering controls.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
yea I m conscious of that, but if I can a lil' better quality at no extra cost why not do it...
I would upgrade my HU, but I really like the steering controls.
1) I honestly think the non-Monsoon with an aftermarket HU kicks the snot out of the Monsoon, even if the Monsoon has an aftemarket HU.

2) You can upgrade your HU and keep the steering wheel controls. I believe Blitz-Safe makes the adapter you need.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
why not? it'll make everything sound better, even if that better isn't as good as the non-Monsoon. if you want to change speakers though it's a chore.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok then, i ll think about it. i have to convince my wife hehe...
i ll try reprogramming the HU in the meantime. does that look about right to you paul? :

VAG-COM
Radio: – KWP1281

Radio Recoding:

[Select]
[56 - Radio]
[Recode - 07]
Write down the existing coding for future reference.
Enter 5-digit code from below
[Do It!]

Look at the first two digits in the coding (sound field tuning):

00 - All models with Premium IV or Premium V
04 - All models with Monsoon

Look at the third digit in the coding (radio/speaker system):

0 - Premium V or Premium VI (Monsoon)
4 - Premium IV, Premium V, or Premium VI (non-Monsoon)

Look at the fourth digit in the coding (sound correction):

0 - Premium IV or Premium V (non-Monsoon)
4 - Premium V (Monsoon)

Look at the fifth digit in the coding (CD player/changer):

1 - Without CD Player/Changer
3 - With CD Player/Changer
5 - Without CD Player/Changer with radio display in instrument cluster
7 - With CD Player/Changer with radio display in instrument cluster

So, if I have a Passat with Monsoon and a CD changer, 04,0,4,3 = 04043.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts