Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the transmission fluid today. 150k miles, 2002 B5.5 TIP FWD. Expected some metal powder, was hoping I wouldn't find grit. I found grit and the fluid was pitch black, ink black, like overused motor oil. Is she just about done? One or two weeks ago, I over revved in 1st gear. TIP went into limp mode. I had to shut off the car and start up again to get it out of 4 gear. I have a 1.1 bar Wett chip, transmission codes set to sport and old strategy (01134 IIRC). I enhanced the picture to show the metal pieces on the magnet - almost sand-like. I suspect this is part of 1st gear. :puke: F#@K

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Holy s*it! The T-1000's come back in time and taken the form of a transmission. Now I see what skynet's been planning all along. Send tip transmission T-1000's back in time so they can all fail at once so we can't drive anywhere. Damn you skynet!!!!!!!!

Now, if this isn't the explanation I'll take another stab at it. Although metal bits aren't good, it may just be from wear and tear over the years. Did the fluid smell burnt? Dark fluid is pretty normal. Think about it, that fluid has spent 8 years in the area of the car that takes the most torque from the engine.

As for the over-rev, I don't think that would blow a gear. Your TCU probably saw that you exceeded the max input speed and shut things down. I would go ahead and change the fluid and drop the pan in a few months time to see if any more metal has accumulated. In the mean time just pay attention to any strange behavior in the transmission.

As for me, Sarah Connor paid me a visit in the middle of the night to warn me about skynet's plan. That's really why I'm doing the 5 speed swap. Just don't tell anyone alright? They may think I'm crazy and haul me off to the loonie bin.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
nothing to worry about. when metal particles are affected by a magnetic force, the particles tent to line up in a fashion similar to it's original structure, and this stacks up til the particles are too small at the top to hold more particles.
hence the spikes. this metal actually comes from the clutch packs. you have rubberized discs sandwiched with metal plates. the plates grab something, say the outer case of what it's within, and the rubber discs grab the opposite, typically something within them, like a sun gear mechanism or something.

these wear down, and now they're all over your magnet.
seeing this job done for the first time at 150k, i absolutely cannot say this looks strange and unusual. clean em' off, and throw em' back in.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Huh. At 200,000 my magnets had less than that; and it was laying flat on the magnets like a coat of peanut butter, not sticking up like that. MUCH finer particles.

What that means, I don't know. (2000 B5, completely stock)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy s*it! The T-1000's come back in time and taken the form of a transmission. Now I see what skynet's been planning all along. Send tip transmission T-1000's back in time so they can all fail at once so we can't drive anywhere. Damn you skynet!!!!!!!!
:icon_eek: You are freakin me out. Not wanting a T1000 walking around my house, I approached it slowly and fired off a shot. I forgot that bullets are ineffective! I managed to snap some pics of what happened....

It went back to normal JUST LIKE THE MOVIE. Noooooooooo!

Now, if this isn't the explanation I'll take another stab at it. Although metal bits aren't good, it may just be from wear and tear over the years. Did the fluid smell burnt? Dark fluid is pretty normal. Think about it, that fluid has spent 8 years in the area of the car that takes the most torque from the engine.
Fluid didn't really smell burnt. Maybe a very light hint of carbonization. I've got a good sniffer too with all of the wine, scotch and espresso that I drink...

The new fluid OTOH, that smelled like a turd wrapped in burnt hair.

As for the over-rev, I don't think that would blow a gear. Your TCU probably saw that you exceeded the max input speed and shut things down. I would go ahead and change the fluid and drop the pan in a few months time to see if any more metal has accumulated. In the mean time just pay attention to any strange behavior in the transmission.
Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

As for me, Sarah Connor paid me a visit in the middle of the night to warn me about skynet's plan. That's really why I'm doing the 5 speed swap. Just don't tell anyone alright? They may think I'm crazy and haul me off to the loonie bin.
That sounds perfectly reasonable too. Your secret is safe with me.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huh. At 200,000 my magnets had less than that; and it was laying flat on the magnets like a coat of peanut butter, not sticking up like that. MUCH finer particles.

I've been chipped for 95k miles. Most of the material was like peanut butter (that's a great description). It was mounded up like that in the pan. The magnets were positioned next to each other with opposing polarity. I suspect the interaction between the two magnets caused the mounding.

Regardless, the particles on the outer edge were a bit coarser and some were even gritty. I'm still a little worried about the future of this transmission, and maybe even transmissions from the future.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would this be a good time to say you shoulda bought a 5spd manual? Okay I'm leaving now...
:middlefinger: :hmmm:

It would have been funny to watch me try to drive it off the lot back then. I learned stick only a few years ago.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts

at 200k, that's a lot of time for someone to have come along before and done a pan dorp job before you. at what mileage did you get the car at?

Would this be a good time to say you shoulda bought a 5spd manual? Okay I'm leaving now...
manuals aren't for everyone. despite their "fun" factor, they're a royal bitch to drive in big cities, and all those stop and go lights or gridlock just wear the cluch down faster than you can imagine. this of course makes the clutch burn out a lot sooner, thus you're going to have a nasty trans removal and clutch replacement bill a LOT sooner :whistle:
:middlefinger: :hmmm:

It would have been funny to watch me try to drive it off the lot back then. I learned stick only a few years ago.
the passat isn't quite the car you want to learn in... the pressure plate is one of those adapting models that has some form of adaptability and tension adjustability that works automatically. something like an old honda or old VW are best. underpowered yet great for learning.

also, dude, you have an awesome sense of humor. haha.
T-5hp-19-FL :rofl:

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
at 200k, that's a lot of time for someone to have come along before and done a pan dorp job before you. at what mileage did you get the car at?
170k or so. I'm reasonably certain it wasn't previously serviced; the prior owner only had it serviced at the VW dealer who sold it. I have the records of her bringing it in every 5000 miles, like clockwork - there wasn't time to take it anywhere else, and the dealer doesn't do fluid changes.

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
I had similar crap in my pan. V6 100k
oil was also bluck burnt looking.
Fill it up and move on.

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
I had similar crap in my pan. V6 100k
oil was also bluck burnt looking.
Fill it up and move on.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If it were mine, I'd do another drain/fill in a few months, and call it good for the next 50k miles. If you are the curious type, you could drop the pan again after a few k miles to see what you see on the magnets, but I wouldn't go to that much trouble and expense, just a drain/fill.

·
Registered
26,282 Posts
Looks normal to me and I have done a bunch.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks normal to me and I have done a bunch.
It certainly feels normal after adding the new fluid today. It feels like the transmission is running with less resistance. I'll install new fluid and a gasket again at 200k (in 50K) unless it starts acting up again.

PZ, are you a VW tech?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm, is it worth sending a tranny fluid sample to Blackstone Labs for an analysis? I forgot to take a sample when I did the 1.8T yesterday, but tomorrow I'll be doing the V6 wagon. My hunch is that there might not be much value in doing this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts