Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been absent for a couple of months spending time with my new daughter. Thus, I've been toying with the idea of trading my B5.5 sedan in for a Variant. I purchased the car a year ago. Would it be worth it? It's certainly not a priority, but I do like the added cargo space and the ample roof rack.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Probably better off just spending $200-$300 on a roof rack and box, assuming you really need the extra storage.

I absolutely love wagons, but I'm not trading my sedan for one until it becomes financially necessary. I've moved a twin bed with box spring in the back of my sedan in a single load. Learn to take the rear seats out (5 minutes of work, one screw) if you haven't already. It's good for about 5-7 more cubic feet!

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
I traded my sedan after one year of ownership and 29,8xx miles. I got a full $3,000 more than I owed on it, turned that around and got a slightly used (1,400 miles on the odo) wagon for a song.

However, in the last year, the B6 has been released and that'll kill your trade-in value.

If you do trade, get the B6 wagon. It's actually bigger than the B5, even though it still doesn't look like it to me. Besides, B6 2.0t + chip = 250hp. :thumbup: (Yes, I haul my 10-mo old daughter in my wagon and I've certainly chipped and dipped that sucker. I swear she's a speed junky.)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I think I'll hold off for now. I haven't owned my car long enough to benefit financially. The dealer came back and told me that my new payments on a same-year Variant would be in the low $300s. My current payment is $260s. $50/month isn't a lot, but it's still over $300; I just don't want that kind of payment.

The roof rack and box sounds like the better investment, indeed! Thanks!

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Generally, it takes 5-6 years to break even on a car purchase. This includes depreciation, insurance, maintenance costs, etc. versus buying a new car earlier.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,504 Posts
Generally, it takes 5-6 years to break even on a car purchase. ...
For those of us who accumulate fewer miles per year than average, it takes longer than that. I try to keep my cars 20 years and generally succeed at keeping them 14 to 17.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts