Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=5000&cardist=300

Do you think it would be worth it to buy it and repair and if needed an engine how much v6 engines cost. It states that the timing belt broke, is it cheaper to get the internals fixed or just get the new engine. The car has only 54k on it so the engine would be better if rebulit what do you think?

I also spotted this one but it doesnt say how many miles! but the price is not so bad.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=5000&cardist=250

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
It really depends on the engine damage but I would not buy it for that price. You might get lucky and just have minor damage, but then they would have already fixed it. A 99 is not worth that much, even with low mileage.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
First one is way over priced, considering you could need a motor which I can't imagine you could find a v6 under 3k, plus add 1200 for swapping motors and who knows what other small problems.

Second, must have really high mileage, maybe worth it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'd stay away from the 1st one unless you actually know what it needs and can maybe DIY. If it was minor damage I think that they would have fixed it and sold the car for more money. The fact that they are unloading it tells me it's probably bad news and the car is still overpriced anyway.
The 2nd one, I'm not big on Auto Auctions where I can't tell the cars history like I might be able to with a 1 owner private sale. If it were me I'd keep looking. Anytime you buy a used car it's a crap shoot but you can limit the risk by looking for a private sale from an original owner with maintenance records. I know that it's not always possible but that's what I did when I bought my car and so far so good. If you are not in a rush to get a Passat then you are in good shape because it gives you time to look and not have to rush into anything.
Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts