Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I recently purchased a 94 Passat. It has an aftermarket cd-player (panasonic) Am-fm radio.
The Am part of the Radio just does not play. It is mostly static. Sometimes is gets stronger stations but not with any regularity.
How do I know if this is an issue with the antenna, the radio itself (I did check the wiring harness and it appears to be kosher), or some other issue?
Thanks,
-rr

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
does the 94 model have the same style antenna base as the 98-05 Passat? if so, the base is dead and needs to be replaced. get a new base at enfig.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more info

Ok, so I unscred the antenna from the base and checked to see if anything looked coroded. It was fine. Screwed the antenna back in and nothing changed -- mostly static on the AM band.
I drove in to town -- about a 30 minute drive -- and when I came out of a tunnel the reception was fine. It was fine on the whole drive home and then this morning turned to static again.
This sounds like some sort of a connectivity issue -- but where do I look?
-rr

·
Registered
196 Posts
the same thing happend to me when i replace my head unit..I think what it is..the adapter they use for antenna..doesn't connect the am side of it..well thats what I think

·
27,883 Posts
can you post a pix of the antenna and the base?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Antenna pix

All --
I am sad to say I can't seem to post the pix. I do not have an ftp site to toss the foto at this point and I can not make the tool work. If someone can enlighten me great.
Strangely enough everything is working five by five -- clear reception from downtown to my home in the boonies. I am a little afraid to dick with it for fear of having to return to FM radio for the 40 minute drive to work.
-rr

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the picture!

This the picture of the antenna -- thanks to kenblasko for the tip on photobucket. Again, at the present everything is working just fine -- but if someone has an idea of why this might be going out I would love to hear it.
-rr

·
27,883 Posts
looks like the same ones we have. it probably has a pre-amp in it. if it is giving you fits, but works some of the time, trying removing the radio and cleaning the antenna connection.

·
Registered
691 Posts
when i went to go get the wiring kit for my mk3 jetta to put in an aftermarket stereo... i was told that there is an amplified and a non amplified adapter to hook the vw antenna cable to an aftermaket radio

maybe it's that you have the non amp'd one - apparently am reception will be horrible without being amplified

·
27,883 Posts
if it works intermittently, as the original poster says (it worked once recently!), then I have to believe it is a bad connection. the easiest one to get to is on the back of the head unit; however, there are two others (at least on B5 and newer models). the first one is under the carpet on the left side of the shifter console area. the second one is on the pigtail off the antenna.

to get at the one under the carpet, you have to remove the center console. since you have a B4, it may be different than the B5 but there is guidance on this website for getting at this one.

to get at the one on the antenna pigtail, you have to drop the headliner at the after end. there is also guidance on how to do so in this forum (Mobile Electronics).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts