Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question can someone help me answer it?

I got a spare 4G data sim via my wireless broadband package. I had a HTC one laying around doing nothing so I had a good idea! I put my HTC one in my car with the data sim and used an app to track my car via its GPS. I'm using an app and it activates when the car moves etc. It's all great but I have one big problem. My HTC one (M7) has terrible battery life and it dies off overnight. I have connected the htc one to the car cig light charger and installed elemental X kernal to enable fast charging. But the battery still dies. So my question is can I buy a USB battery pack and have my M7 run off this? I can connect the battery pack to car charging so it keeps topped up all the time. Before I do this i want to know whether its safe to put a 11200mAh pack inside my car glovebox? I mean will it overheat or anything like that? I live in Norway and it gets to about -4.5' on average and during summer probably 30' so yeah. My worry is that my M7 heats up when it charges so concern is what happens when this goes on like this for a long time....

Any advice?

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I got to admit some of your post is hard for me to follow / understand...
But anyways, when I'm driving long distances using GPS on my cell, I connect my cell to the battery pack.
I use a Motorola USB battery pack in my car all the time, summer and winter, no issues.

On a side note: Somebody needs to make a socket that securely fits in the Passat cigarette lighter socket.
I've tried about a dozen different kinds and none of them stay 'engaged' in my '98 or my '04.
Hence me plugging into the battery pack.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I'm sure it's fine in the winter but I would hesitate to do that during the summer. If the car is left in direct sunlight with 30C outside temperatures, it can easily get to over 60C inside the car. At the very least, that temperature will reduce the life span of the battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts