Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 56k on my car and I was thinking about chipping after I replace my stock suspension. Is it safe to chip the car still, or should I pass on that mod? Mike

·
Registered
778 Posts
As long as you use synthetic you can chip at 200k if you want.

I upgraded to K04 at around 85k miles......it was all good till 135k when some ahole totalled it.
<---ahole =P

·
Registered
370 Posts
I chipped my 1999 5 speed this year @ 50K miles or so. Totally rocks, worth every penny for the Wett chip.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Before you ask too =). There are a couple of chips that are worth considering. Giac, APR, Wett, Upsolute, Neuspeed, and Revo. Most are reputable and able to do it for you. Generally you should find one that is nearby for support and upgrade issues. They range from 250-700+ depending on what you would like and the options they provide. I have a Wett, that I like, but since they transition that they had, the customer service and support is worrisome (though I haven't needed it). I was just turned off by the owner when he came to this forum and fielded questions. Giac, Apr, and Revo are the most aggressive IIRC.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
As a general rule, assuming the engine has been well-maintained, it's safer to chip later in its life because the microscopic stress points in the various hot-cast engine parts have been relieved by being heated and cooled hundreds of times.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before you ask too =). There are a couple of chips that are worth considering. Giac, APR, Wett, Upsolute, Neuspeed, and Revo. Most are reputable and able to do it for you. Generally you should find one that is nearby for support and upgrade issues. They range from 250-700+ depending on what you would like and the options they provide. I have a Wett, that I like, but since they transition that they had, the customer service and support is worrisome (though I haven't needed it). I was just turned off by the owner when he came to this forum and fielded questions. Giac, Apr, and Revo are the most aggressive IIRC.
Actually I had a Giac chip in my 99' 2001, 2001.5. I just chipped them pretty much after I put 1k on those cars though. I've been out of the modding game for some time now.... I just feel like if I'm going to upgrade the suspension then I might as well as add a bit of power too :biglaugh: .

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
chipped my 99 and added K04 @ 75k. i'm at 94k now. running crazy strong ;)

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
As a general rule, assuming the engine has been well-maintained, it's safer to chip later in its life because the microscopic stress points in the various hot-cast engine parts have been relieved by being heated and cooled hundreds of times.
That's a very good point. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Hmmm? Makes sense to me. Of course, racing engines go out brand-new with no such "relieving"...

Who's the authority here? Inquiring minds want to know...
eh, i dont want to highjack a thread with more techno-babble. :D

to answer the original poster, as long as the engine is in good working order (i.e. well maintained), you can chip at any time.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I chipped at 70k with no problems. Tacked on another 21k before trading it off.

The only thing is that with the extra power I got from the chip, it revealed that the clutch on my car was going to need a replacement as it slipped under WOT immediately after chipping. I never noticed any problems with the clutch before the chip.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Hmmm? Makes sense to me. Of course, racing engines go out brand-new with no such "relieving"...

Who's the authority here? Inquiring minds want to know...
Racing engines are also much more carefully made, with high-pressure forging instead of simple gravity casts. Forging reduces the number of stress points in the metal. They also get rebuilt every few dozen operating hours.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts