Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.local6.com/news/2739852/detail.html

what do you think?

what if it was the other way around, and we (speaking as a US citizen) had to be photographed and fingerprinted to enter some other country?

will this help? or just make the US lose even more world-respect?

finally, what comes next? you don't REALLY think it will stop here, do you?

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I don't see why not. PLus I honeslty dont imagine there would be too many foreigners protesting. US citizens seem to be the only people in the world that adopt conspiracy theories as much. Most foreigners do not enjoy the freedoms that Americans do. Fingerprinting is probably not a big deal compared to some of the other control & big brother tactics found in other counries.... but what do I know....

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It's about time we get tougher in processing visitors from other countries. I'm surprised the State Department waited this long. It should have been effective immediately right after 9/11.

Did you know that before you can travel to China, you have to submit 2 passport size photos and an application for visa and a formal invite from a host / business? As a US citizen that have travelled to many countries before and after 9/11, the US INS / USA is no where near the strictest or less courteous. In fact we have the leaniest and loosest borders.

Personally, I don't give a damn what the other nations think about USA. Who are they to tell us what to do. If we are so bad a country, tell me why there are so many illegal aliens here from many countries including Canada, nations in the Middle east, France, Germany, Russia and many others.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't say that this idea upsets me too much, though i can see how it would upset some. (Referring to other Americans, if people from other countries don't like it, they can stay home) But like linux-works says, i'm not convinced it'll stop there. I just hope it stops before cops can stop you on the sidewalk and say "papieren bitte" (papers please)

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
powerslide23 said:
As a US citizen that have travelled to many countries before and after 9/11, the US INS / USA is no where near the strictest or less courteous. In fact we have the leaniest and loosest borders.
If you are a U.S. citizen, how can you say this? You mentioned...

powerslide23 said:
...before you can travel to China, you have to submit 2 passport size photos and an application for visa and a formal invite from a host / business...
You think foreigners don't have to go through a similar process just to visit the U.S.?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Rich P said:
powerslide23 said:
As a US citizen that have travelled to many countries before and after 9/11, the US INS / USA is no where near the strictest or less courteous. In fact we have the leaniest and loosest borders.
If you are a U.S. citizen, how can you say this? You mentioned...

powerslide23 said:
...before you can travel to China, you have to submit 2 passport size photos and an application for visa and a formal invite from a host / business...
You think foreigners don't have to go through a similar process just to visit the U.S.?
I know many foreigners coming here and they are the ones who say it is so easy to go thru the immigration officers. WHy do you think there are so many illegals in here? I am not referring to the ones coming from south of the border.

Only from some third world countries and some not-so-friendly ones. But most Europeans do not need a visa to enter.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I certainly have never heard it's that tough to come in. It seems that most who come on visas and such can skip out pretty easily

I'm ok with finger printing, though I would support finger printing citizens traveling too.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I think it will only serve to make our nation a greater object of desire for the immigrant. It's like moving the cookie jar off the counter into the cupboard. It will also build more resentment in the class of people that we 'don't want'. Which won't neccessarily halt their entry.

The building of this kind of infrastructure worries me too.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Finger print and put on an electronic braclet or something so when the visa is up your can track them down and ship them back. That way they just dont get lost and stay in the USA on expired VISA'S!
It has been far to long and easy for them to just stay in the USA lost in the wood work, Im all for it.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
it's not wrong...but it may not do much good either. Bring back the old visa process for the majority of non-US citizens who want to travel here.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Finger print and put on an electronic braclet or something so when the visa is up your can track them down and ship them back. That way they just dont get lost and stay in the USA on expired VISA'S!
It has been far to long and easy for them to just stay in the USA lost in the wood work, Im all for it.
a bit of animosity? :shock:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
julianfang said:
a bit of animosity? :shock:
NO!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well, don't complain that it is dificult to go to China. Try to get from China to USA. US embassy is a terrible place to be for any non-US citizen. To get US visa in Ukraine you gotta get somehow to the capital (Kiev), go thrue the interview, show your financial papers, including tax return, explain why you wanna go, have travel agency papers and what's not. BUT: you can bypass all of it for a bribe of approximatelly $3,000 (!). So, if somebody wants to stay illegally, they have an easy way out. But when few friends want to visit their friends and party in Las Vegas-they have problems. They are not going to spend money on bribes (not because they don't have money, rather on principle, they REALLY can afford it) but if they decide that they would rather go ANYWHERE else to BLOW some money, it is going to be a loss to US, not them. And no, they are no members of "russian mafia" or anything like this. They are just succesfull businessmen.

Coming back to new rules-I think taking fingerprints is way over the top. Just gotta get used to thinking that US is NOT a free country anymore! American goverment chose to take away peoples' basic constitutional freedoms to create an illusion of tightened security. If they think that nearly strip searching my less than 2 year old son in an airport is going to make country more secure, they are mistaken. When I saw that my first impulse was to take my son away and leave an airport, but I was offered an argument in form of M16 in hands of 20 year old kid. Funny thing, in whole process they forgot to search me, so, if I fitted some profile (I would never figure why, so I didn't even try to understand), in their fight for security they forgot to search a main suspect. So, tell me, how that tightened security?

Also, I have a question. Is the process for visitors only? Or Permanent Residents will have to give fingerprints too?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't know whether saying it's necessarily really easy for someone to get into the U.S.

My aunt (a British citizen) came here last year and was denied entrance into the U.S. past customs at LAX because they *literally* felt like it and told her she would have to go back to the U.S. counslate in England to apply formally for a visa. Keep in mind British citizens can come into the U.S. without a visa if they are staying here for a short period (which she was, as she was just visting). They detained her at LAX overnight (she's in her 60s, gramma style) and made her buy tickets for the next flight back to London. WTF? Well, I guess it's okay, because she's brown.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
linux-works said:
is it right to fingerprint all non-US who travel here?
After this --> <-- much hesitation, I say yes.

what if it was the other way around, and we (speaking as a US citizen) had to be photographed and fingerprinted to enter some other country?
If I expect visitors to the USA to submit fingerprints, then I should expect the same treatment from other countries. Since I wouldn't mind being fingerprinted when entering other countries, then I can reason that it's okay to fingerprint visitors to the USA.

will this help? or just make the US lose even more world-respect?
People, such as VW4.0L, will say the USA is becoming less free. I don't know if US borders were ever completely open, but I think defitions of "free country" are being mixed up here. Respect? well, that's something that ebbs and flows. Something will happen, or someone will do something to affect international respect of the USA soon enough.

finally, what comes next? you don't REALLY think it will stop here, do you?
Eventually, when technology allows, DNA will be collected. And that's only what I can think of off the top of my head. No, it won't stop here. Not unless Americans rise up with a call against tyranny.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I'll go a set further...I think it should be mandatory that all countries begin photographing and fingerprinting all non-citizen visitors. In the end, it might make it a little more difficult to enter the US by first getting established in a friendly country.

The real bottleneck will be at the Canadian and Mexican borders (can't imagine what this would do at busy bordercrossing points like the Windsor region and Niagara region.

I heard on the radio that Brazil is retaliating and enforcing stricter requirements for US citizens to enter. So be it.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
VW4.0L said:
Also, I have a question. Is the process for visitors only? Or Permanent Residents will have to give fingerprints too?
I am a permanent resident and they already have my fingerprint.
It's electronicaly printed onto my green card. :)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Altair 4 said:
I heard on the radio that Brazil is retaliating and enforcing stricter requirements for US citizens to enter. So be it.
This has already happend with other countries, namely Spain. This sort of thing has been going on since before 9/11.

By the way, this system, for now, wouldn't have hindered the Shoe Bomber as he came in with a UK passport.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts