Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked about my radiator leak before, but here is my question. I have a real tiny leak on lower right corner of the raditor. Is it possible to plug it by adding something to the coolant? It takes a few months for the coolant level to go down from Max to Min level in the reservior.

The car has 85k miles on it. (99 GLS V6)

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Yes...

...if you are going to trade the car in to a seedy used car dealer. Any place else will open the coolant tank and see the particulates used to stop the leak.

Buying another radiator (even a used one) is a better choice than using any stop leak. The material that stops the leak also coats the coolant passages in the cylinder head...but you won't realize this until next summer when your car overheats in traffic.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whats is a Bar's leak? Should I be worried about any coolant system clogging issues?

I plan on keeping the car so I dont want to detroy it. But for a tiny leak I dont want to spend $500-800 now. My other option is to wait untill the leak gets bigger and then replace it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Somebody at work just suggested me another idea. He said if the leak is in the aluminium part (which it is) he said just clean the area and apply epoxy to it and that should do it. Anyone try this method.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bar does work well and once it seals the leak, flush and replace with new G12 and you should be all set.
Did you guys use the Bars liquid or the tube? Do I have to flush the system?

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Just get a new radiator. There is no "magic fix" for a busted radiator. If you want to keep this car for a while, you don't want to be dumping crap in your cooling system that is DESIGNED to clog things. I'm not sure it is even possible to flush the "excess" out and still have it work. If it IS flushable, your "plug" on the leak will be weakened; if it isn't flushable, your cooling system will still be contaminated with this junk after a flush.

You REALLY don't want to find out the hard way that the "magic juice" clogged up your heater core. That is something like near a grand in labor since it involves removing the dashboard.

The labor at a reasonable indy should not be THAT bad to swap the radiator. It is not as inaccessible as some of the other parts on our cars.

SirWired

·
Registered
649 Posts
X2 ^^^
No stop leak!! It will probably kill your heater core... Did it to my last car and blew the heater core within a month... Not a fun replacement if you have to take off the dash...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. Somebody at work just suggested me another idea. He said if the leak is in the aluminium part (which it is) he said just clean the area and apply epoxy to it and that should do it. Anyone try this method.
Any thoughts on this method. It will be external on the outside of the radiator.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
If you can get epoxy to work, great, but be forewarned that aluminum is protected from corrosion perforation by forming a thin layer of corrosion on the outside that usually is not further penetrated. I'm not sure epoxy will adhere too well to Aluminium Oxide.

Certainly trying the epoxy can't hurt.

SirWired

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Cooling system parts, Oil circulation parts and Braking system parts all fall into a sub-catagory that (after owning my first 3 cars) I learned should never be compromised or otherwise fudged/monkeyed with or jury-rigged in any manner.

Do what you want man, but I hope a leaking radiator doesn't leave you on foot before winter (or sufficient funds in your bank account) arrives.

:beer:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts