Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really never could figure out why it's hard to put the owners manual and other documentation for the car into the glovebox. It barely fits! I heard about a spot to put the owner's manual under the steering wheel but I looked and couldn't find it. Is it not on '98's

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
It's not that it's tiny (quantitatively... er, ft^3 like), it's that the shape is compketely wack. My manual sit on the cupboard in my garage... one day I'll do the mod to the dash to be able to have the shelf from the B5.5's.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You think you have a small glovebox, my fiancee's old Mk3 didn't HAVE a glovebox. Yep, VW made a whole bunch of cars that did not come with gloveboxes. The one in her new Mk4 is still tiny, but at least fuctional (and has a shelf for the manual in it)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Haha, yea. At least we have gloveboxes. The B4 Passats (and I think the MkIIIs as well) had a passenger side airbag take up the entire spot where the glove box is on our B5s. All they had was the tiny center console.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't find it small, but it is an odd shape. I frequently get stuff out and can't get it back in unless it all goes back exactly the same way.

I only keep user manual, a few CD's, trye pressure gauge and a few other odd bits in it. I don't keep the car manual in the tray under the steering wheel, I find that a good space to keep two CD cases instead !

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes, it is small but much larger than my 94 Jetta's glovebox, oh, it didn't have one but it came with a nice case to hold the owner,s manual. Even my wifes Yukon has a tiny glove box; doesn't hold much more than the manual.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is that a Norah Jones CD in the pic D.Passat00 ?

Maybe we can develop this thread to find out what CD's we listen to in the car and/or what we all keep in the glove box ? Does any one keep gloves in there ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not only is it a small glovebox, the door opening mechanism breaks easily. Fortunately, there is easy access to the problem by removing the side case, just like the fusebox cover on the other side.

In my case, the plastic post (which is unfortunately part of the glovebox itself, and thus would require replacement of the entire box) snapped off at the end of the screw, which holds a small gear that makes the box open slowly.
I hate to admit it, but I put the broken post back on and put in a longer screw through it and into the box housing, just short of coming through the inside. Namely, a 1.25" sheetrock screw. Is that wrong? It should be!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.