Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
This technically would fall under a state-to-state regulation, but as a general rule the answer would be "no." However, you might be able to slip by if the screen angled towards the passenger side.

Call you local police station to ask them. Tell them you're "thinking about installing one" and want to find out. I've always found that they are really cool when you call to ask them about stuff like this.

Shawn

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
In CA the CVC says you ar prohibited from viewing "broadcast television" from the driver's seat while the car is in motion. So if you got a ticket for watching a DVD you could fight it and technically you should win.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
quality_sound said:
In CA the CVC says you ar prohibited from viewing "broadcast television" from the driver's seat while the car is in motion. So if you got a ticket for watching a DVD you could fight it and technically you should win.

Paul :thumbup:
Sadly as of Jan 1st 2004, that's no longer true. The law in CA now states that all monitors capable of displaying video must be behind the drivers head. So no in-dash, no flushed, no visor screens. Nav is the only thing permitted in the front. Even worse...the law says that the passenger can't even use a laptop to watch video!

Scary, huh.

Actual text:

Prohibits any person from driving a motor vehicle if a certain video monitor, or a video screen, or any other, similar means of visually displaying a video signal, is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or is visible to the driver while driving the vehicle. Provides this prohibition does not apply to specified equipment or motor vehicles providing emergency service or roadside assistance

·
Registered
858 Posts
Actually, there is also a Federal law that prohibits full motion video from being displayed while the car is in motion. The law has been around for awhile, because people used to get in trouble for throwing the old B&W TV on the dash! :crazy:

The law is similar to the above mentioned CA law, in that it prohibits full motion video (read anything but Navi) in front of the driver's head.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
A few years back, in my last car, I had the Alpine in dash and was always wondering about that.....until I got pulled over. It was for my system being to loud but when I saw the blue lights, I flipped the dvd off and the officer approached. Explained what I did then asked if I could watch a movie while driving. I responded with the ever so inocent "My ebrake has to be on. I thought it was illegal to have it on while driving". They said it was and I would be in for a $500 fine :shock: .

If you have a movie playing while driving and you get pulled over, most screens have a one touch button to switch off.

·
Registered
487 Posts
OK, so what is the "specified equipment". If all monitors showing video were entirely illegal then the use of cameras for rear view would be a real problem. Some busses have these, RVs too I think, and at least one show car has replaced the side mirrors with camers and small video monitors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts