Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(TAW is 'tenant at will'.)

I'm currently renting my apartment. I got a renewal notice saying I can renew at X per month (they're lowering it, due to market conditions.) OR I can leave the lease and go TAW, but then they charge me $100 MORE per month for the priv. of going taw instead of being bound by a 6mo or longer lease.

first, is that legal?

second, does it sound right or legit to you? this isn't the first time they've done this - its been going on for at least 2 or 3 yrs now. before, if I wanted to continue on but as TAW, they'd let me. my risk was that the rent could go up at any time, but also I had the freedom to exit on a month's notice. that was fine. but with this new deal, they want to charge a whole lot more per month just for TAW.

anyone else seeing this? is it a new trend? this is in the sf bay area (silicon valley) area. maybe its unique to this area?

on one hand, they're lowering the rent. otoh, they want to charge a huge amount for that extra bit of freedom - that never USED to cost anywhere near this amount, in the good old days..

what's going on?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Johnny B5.5 said:
Friends of mine in San Diego were charged more as TAW.

It sucks.
how can that be legal??

I guess it is. I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this.

maybe its just 'whatever the market will bare' and maybe even 'in whatever way we want to ask for our loot', also.

its interesting that I'm almost paying now what I paid about 8 or 10 yrs ago, when I first moved to calif. I saw the rent go up up up, then now, for the last 2 or 3 yrs, down down down. almost to the point where I came in.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it. They're giving you a discount in exchange for a binding contract over a period of time. Sounds like a good deal to me and normal business practice for a whole slew of industries.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
TAW... or month-to-month .... is absolutely legal. The extra $100 is also legal. In fact, if they raised it an extra $200 it would be legal. Point is... it's a legal binding contract that you can voluntarily sign. It's an offer. You get to pick. Kinda like reeling and dealing for a car. nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
yeah look at most things that require subscriptions and the like. It's always cheaper to go long term. They assume the risk that one month you up and bail on them so they want a little more to hedge their bet.

If you've been there a while and not likely to leave, sign another lease.... or buy a house, never worry about it again LOL

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just realized something.

there's a bit of a correlation between the DOWN market and this new funnybusiness they're pulling.

back when rents went UP each year, it was to their advantage to put you on taw since they could change the rent each month, if they wanted, and you'd have to pay (or leave). now, people know that the minute they try to raise the rent, they might as well find a place that lowers it or keeps it the same. so for the rental company, the down market means that if I go taw, they can't raise the rent, effectively.

at least that's my theory. I've been a renter for many years and I started out in the boston area and for my 10 yrs there, I never ever saw rents go DOWN. so back there, going taw was always a no-cost option for the renter.

and for the first few yrs here in calif it was also a no-cost option.

only NOW is it a for-cost thing.

so it must be how they calculate their curves and how to best keep in the black in today's econ. oh well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts