Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about the last month now, when I clicking on various topics, even as I'm typing a response to a post I get redirected to various websites.
Download this to check your computer for viruses, buy this product because it'll make you invincible, refi my house now and get a million dollar cash out loan for only 1.5% APR.
I kinds of BS of the sort.
I have a hard time believing it's just my computer. It happens with every computer I use to login with. Various locations, and now most notably with my work computer.
Anybody else having problems?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I haven't experienced anything of that nature but I don't spend a tremendous amount of time on the site like I used to either.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,322 Posts
I'm on all day long and get nothing of the sort. I mean ALL. DAY. LONG. I am using chrome with ad block plus. That said, I have never been redirected. Have you tried accessing via tapatalk on one of those new-fangled smartphones?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used to get that redirect every now and then, but not for a couple months' now. I don't remember if I changed any settings.

I probably just jinxed myself!

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
No issues and I use Mozilla Firefox with AdBlock Plus.

3 Posts
And here I am, assuming a different identity. 😎
Wow that was brutal.

Hopefully VAGguy can sprinkle some pixie dust and Tantulum sparks on my account and get me patched up.

Gotta say it here though, Thanks to LineInTheWater and PZ for getting me connected with VAGguy.
And mad props to VAGguy for taking the time to work on this crazy weird issue.
He could have just as well let me fade away. That's what makes this site so awesome.
Thanks guys!

3 Posts
Still having issues even new account.
I've thrown everything I know at my computer to check for viruses and it shows I'm clean.
On three different devices yet.
This is crazy. What the hell is happening?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally figured it out.
My Microsoft Edge was getting attacked by Malware.
Crafty bastards.

Many hours looking into this issue. My head feels like it's going to explode. I'm not cut out for this stuff anymore.
Here's what I did to fix it.

Microsoft Edge Content Process (MicrosoftEdgeCP) is a Windows system file which is digitally signed by Microsoft. In some cases, a malware masks itself as MicrosoftEdgeCP.

Check if there are any background processes in Task Manager associated with the file.
In this way, we're able to locate where the file is located.
To do so, right-click on your taskbar and click Task Manager.
Under Processes, look for MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe, then right-click on it and select Open file location.
The file location should be at C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe.
If it's on a different file location, there's a possibility that a malware is trying to duplicate the application.

Run DISM. This tool can resolve and prepare Windows images. Here's how:
A. Run Command Prompt as an administrator.
B. Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, then press Enter.
C. Restart your computer.

Reset Microsoft Edge through Windows PowerShell by following these steps:
A. From the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell. Right-click on it and click Run as administrator.
B. Type this command: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}.

The command will delete and re-register the Microsoft Edge data.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,322 Posts
Glad you go it figured out. You might want to start using a different browser ;) Even though Chrome is a memory hog at times, I have never had an issue. Same with Firefox, although it runs leaner, which is nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts