Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the subject explains it all... Is it better to run the heat with the A/C button pushed in or not?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Using the AC with the heat is just used to reduce humidity in the car, aka to clear fog on the inside of the glass. Otherwise you can just use the heat.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It's not a bad idea to run the AC once or twice a month, year 'round, just to keep the system in good condition. The refridgerant has lube suspended inside that the various parts need to circulate to keep things sealed and moving freely. At any temperature and with most combinations of vents, you can run the AC just for its own sake to keep it in good tune. I run mine the first weekday of every month on my drive to work and I've never needed a recharge. It's often too cold at its coldest setting during the summer months. :)

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,464 Posts
I second the recommendations made in this thread.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
the a/c button should make no difference at all when the temp is on hot, the a/c button just powers the compressor.the blower blows fresh air through the a/c condenser if your temp is set to cool, instead of your heater core if it's set on hot. if anything it would just make the hot air cooler. only plus would be the a/c would kick on the acc fan and bring more air into the pass compartment, otherwise just wasting gas.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
That might be true but it sure takes care of the fogging up during wet days............... especially during snow days. The AC button DOES make difference when you need to clear out the windows in a hurry.

·
Registered
752 Posts
1.8tbeout said:
the a/c button should make no difference at all when the temp is on hot, the a/c button just powers the compressor.the blower blows fresh air through the a/c condenser if your temp is set to cool, instead of your heater core if it's set on hot. if anything it would just make the hot air cooler. only plus would be the a/c would kick on the acc fan and bring more air into the pass compartment, otherwise just wasting gas.
This info is incorrect.

If you set to hot air blows through both the heater core and AC evaporator. The acc fan pulls air through the radiator and ac condensor, it does nothing to increase air flow in the passenger compartment, those are both located in the engine compartment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts