Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it a bad thing if the wheel is totaly supported by the nuts?

i just had my new MAS' installed and the mechanic told me that the center of the rim(sorry don't know the name of it) is larger than the part on the rotor that is suposed to take most of the weight of the car. So i guess, my cars weight is supported only by the 5 nuts on each rim. They are strong/heavy rims and im just wondering if its ok, or if there is such a thing made like an adapter to insert to not take the weight? anyone know what im talkin about?

brent

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Re: is it a bad thing if the wheel is totaly supported by the nuts? (mr_brent)

You need what's called a hubcentric adapter ring (or something like that -- a good wheel shop will know what you're talking about). Where'd you get your rims? They should be able to get the rings for you. If not, try Sacha at Edge Racing or even Tire Rack, they should be able to help you out.

It's okay for the rim to be held on strictly by the lug nuts, but since you're not perfectly centered on your axle, you could develop a shimmy at high speed (> 45 mph or 70 km/h).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: is it a bad thing if the wheel is totaly supported by the nuts? (mr_brent)

You should have hubcentric ring adapters (aka centerbore adapters) at least for the front wheels if not all teh way around. Otherwise there is the likelihood of the wheel being slightly off center and causing a lot of vibration.

I got centerbore adapters for the front wheels when I bought mine but they didn't give me any for the rear ones. It has been a real pain in the ass trying to find these things after the fact. The shop that i got my wheels from have been no help at all.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
Re: is it a bad thing if the wheel is totaly ... (coastalB5.5)

to avoid non hubcentric wheels from being off center. Torq them down while they are inthe air with noload on em.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts