Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clay or whoever else. I have a question about 17" winter tires.
I just got a Jetta 2.0T and it came with 17" All Seasons. Obviously winter tires are the way to go during this season.

How different is a 17" winter tire from lets say a 15" or even 16". Will it still peform well? I was trying to just get 17" tires so I can use my rims.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used to live in the North of BC, and I sell tires and wheels for a living... does that qualify???

17's are still awesome, the size of the rim does alter much, where it comes into play is the width of the tire, the skinnier the better for snow.
And 15 or 16's are always going to be a softer and cheaper choice.Plus you can save your "good" rims for the better weather.

Are you looking into next year???

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
There will be a noticeable difference going from a 15 inch winter tire to a 17 inch winter tire. However, most people that I have talked to who use 17 inch winter tires say they are still amazing for snow and ice traction. If you already have the 17 inch wheels I would go ahead and just use the 17 inch tires with them.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is the 15" I have now will not clear the brakes on the 2.0T. So that leaves me with a 16" wheel and tire or just 17" tire.

Clay can you get me some quotes. PM me for prices. I have Dunlop Wintersports M2 right now on 15" and I think those are good tires. Im hoping not to spend a lot of $$ on this

1 - 6 of 6 Posts