Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard some people say Arco gas isn't all that good... is there any truth to this? I do not believe Arco is a dumping station (meaning other company's gas trucks dump the rest of their gas there)... Seems like gas should be gas right?

My only concern is that I used to use Shell in my car until it ate away my fuel sender (or at least that is what the dealershit told me... i don't know why I chose to believe that)...

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
InkBlue said:
My only concern is that I used to use Shell in my car until it ate away my fuel sender (or at least that is what the dealershit told me... i don't know why I chose to believe that)...
Dunno about ARCO gas...they left this market more than 10 years ago.

About the Shell gas, maybe you believe it because of this:
Shell Gasoline Issues.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
All of the first two and half years of its life, my 20V was fed ARCO gas in the East Bay. Never had any problems. In fact after I started to use 93 Octane here in the east coast, my gas mileage has gone down (that and i have changed the tires to a wider stickier Potenza RE950.. shhhh!).

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Re950's are fantastic! I have them running on my car and couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
I've always had the best performance and mileage with Mobil. I also like Chevron but Arco is the cheapest and what I used all the time until I got stationed at a base in BFE. Now I use whatever the crap they sell on base is and it's ok. I'd stay away from Shell though.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
While we're on the topic of gas.... What octane is everybody running? I've been feeding 91Octane in my 30v V6, but thanks to OPEC, my prices hit $2.30/Gal today, and it's still going up.... :eek:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1.8t engines really need the 91 due to the turbo... check your owners manual for the v6 min requirements... and follow them! The engineers don't write min requirements for nothin' :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah whats up with that only 91 thing in CA! Even MA has the 93 option! GRRR!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
There was a post on this a little while back, and someone who claimed to be in the oil/gas industry said basically, the trucks pull up to the refineries and buy whoever has the cheapest gas, no matter who it is. So a Shell truck could be buying gas from Arco or whomever.

I don't know anyone in the industry myself, so I can't verify...

·
Registered
21 Posts
It seems that as all the refinaries use the same gas pipe system to transport the gas through out the US. Thus the only difference between the various brands is the additives that are put into it at the desitination.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seems like gas should be gas right?
Yep, gas is just gas, except the additives when it goes out on the truck.
I used to work on a tank farm, and we traded product between all the major oil companies. Depended on who had product in from their refinery, etc.
This applies to auto gas of all grades, jet fuel, diesel, asphalt, and much more...

I think the most important thing to watch for in this area is weather or not people are buying the grade you're using. If it sits for long periods, particularly in the winter, some condensation will introduce water.

-pete

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
A few years ago, I was watching a short news special on TV about the differences in octanes and gas brands, and they said that our gas that came to San Diego, whether it's Chevron or Arco or whatever, comes from the same big refinery in Needles, CA.

The other companies just take that fuel and put their own additives in it before they drop it off at the station.

-Harry

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
22 Participants
B5V
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing