Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 AEB 1.8T with 55K miles.

I have known for some time that I am coming up on the timing belt change at 60K miles. On the way home from work yesterday, I began hearing an unusual noise coming from the engine bay. I was sweating bullets the last 2 miles. My wife was in the driveway and asked "What the hell is that noise coming from MY car?" It is most noticable at idle speeds and almost seems to go away with increased speeds, though it could be that I just cannot hear it. It sounds like more of a rubbing/rumbling sound than a whine. Could be coming from the front end of the engine, but it is hard to tell for sure.

Have any of you heard the early warning of a tensioner failure? It could be the serpintine tensioner, but I don't hear of their frequent failure.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
JoeyZ

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Yes, a tensioner failure MAY be audible. From your description of the sound, its impossible to be certain, but if I were you, I'd have it TOWED to a repair shop.

Good luck.

Kenny

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, it goes $$$$$$ ch-ching $$$$$$ as the cash register opens :eek:
... but you are right as the bearings on the tentioners wear it is possible to start making noises. At that poing it's only a mather minutes or maybe hours (if you are lucky) before your tentioner locks up and snaps your belt.

Good luck and let us know what happens ...

Alex

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In all likelihood, the car won't be leaving the garage unitl I have replaced the timing belt and tensioner. Before I posted, I called Jim at www.dieselgeek.com and ordered a new TB kit. I am not thrilled about taking on the task of changing it myself, but don't really trust the local dealer. After all, they ruined the 6 speed transmission on my neighbor's Audi S4 when it was in for an oil change.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
Are you the original owner and do you have all of the maintenance records? If so,
you would be covered under warranty. There may be better dealers around if you
don't trust yours.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
mine made a clickety clack clickety clack sound for about 3 or 4 weeks before it broke on me. cost me about $2500 to repair so please take my advice and and dont wait. i had only 73k. DONT WAIT!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The verdict is in!!

I can answer my own question. The noise I was hearing in my 2.3 mile commute was a loose timing belt "hitting" the plastic covers that conceal the timing belt and tensioner. In other words, I had a complete tensioner failure. My AEB engine had the old style tensioner with a "ball and socket" joint between the damper and roller. In my failure the ball and socket joint became disconnected and the tensioner was completely disengaged from the TB.

On Saturday, a "VW experienced" friend and I replaced the timing belt and tensioner in five hours. The replacement write up in the information forum and CubB5 is excellent and well written.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds like you were lucky...maybe the short commute :???: didn't give it a chance to completely come undone.

Now that I'm completely paranoid :shock: , I looked under my hood and noticed that I don't have a lot of plastic "stuff" covering my timing belt. So I may not get a warning. I have a '98 1.8T with 74K. I just bought it from a dealer a few weeks ago so it comes with 60 days or 6,000K warranty (N.Y.S.). I'm gonna have to check if it'll cover the engine (I think it does *please*please*please) if the TB goes.

Anyway, the belt looks old; but not fraying or anything like that. I see a few cracks and noticed that there are two other belts that could be changed when the TB is. I also found out it is best to get the water pump changed when everything is apart.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? Am I on borrowed time? I'm surprised the dealer didn't make this change when they had the car :crazy: .

Thoughts?

TIA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts