Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my nice rims, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to get a lojack for my car. I am afraid that my car is a bigger target to be stolen now. I just don't my car stolen. It just never the same when you get it back.

Anyone know how much a lojack system runs now a days?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should at least get a good set of wheel locks. I have McGard locks (purchased from Tire Rack) on my car right now and they seem ok. There are a lot of different key patterns, so nobody has a complete set. Forget the dealer wheel locks, everyone has keys for those. You might also try Euro Locks, but in my experience they only last a few years.

If someone wants your rims, they will probably steal your rims, not the car. The immobilizer should make it difficult enough to steal the car without a tow truck. I saw a C5 Corvette on blocks the other day... That is what you need to watch out for. Besides, if they recover your car using a lojack, the rims will be long gone... My $0.02. :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
LoJack is different from an alarm. It's a tracking system...With LoJack, if you lose your car you may still have a chance to find it (depending on how quickly you realize your car is gone)...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, LoJack will help recover stolen cars. But if theives are after parts on said car, they will have stripped & fenced those parts before the car is recovered, and probably before it's even noticed missing.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
While we don't have LoJack (two cars have OnStar, which has a tracking device) the savings cost in insurance more than covers the cost of the system.

·
Registered
53 Posts
TDIBUGMAN, what kind of discount do you get for the tracking device?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
if you get insurance discounts then go for it. but i heard that the police wont even track a lojack, so it doesn't even help

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I save 40% on comp from Allstate. Of course, comp in NJ is so high, the savings add up quick.

In order to have police track, is not a matter of calling them up and saying "track my car". You need to call in, and file a report that the car is stolen. Most complaints came from folks who thought it was "cool" to track their car, without it being stolen.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well not to sound like a jerk but... It depends on if you want the car back? Some would rather just get another car with the insurance money, others want the car back. If you want the car back be prepared.. Its probably going to be trashed.

I personal have LoJack, a Clifford alarm, and the factory alarm. Yes I'm a little paronoid!! The only reason I have LoJack is because it was already installed when I got the car from the dealer. I'm actually happy I got it because it lowered my insurance. I happen to live in one of the highest insurance risk areas in Boston.

As for your rims... Wheel locks are good start. Another option is to find out if your insurance company will cover them (for a fee of course).

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the informative information guys. I do have the macguard wheels locks too. I think I have decided to not get a lojack. Your right, if my car never comes back...well, I will get that variant instead..heheh

Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
pancreas
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing