Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is 24 lbs. heavy for a cast alum 17" wheel?

Looking at Ace Allures, 17" rims........ the guy said they weigh 24 lbs. Is this heavy guys? How much do VW stock 17" rims weigh?

·
Registered
645 Posts
stock rims way more.....24 isnt bad for a cast rim.....some can get around 20 for an 18in rim but most are around 25lbs......the stock a4 avus rims are around 33lbs for a 17 in rim......and i believe that the a4 sport 17in are around 30 but im not sure.....

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
gwarballs said:
stock rims way more.....24 isnt bad for a cast rim.....some can get around 20 for an 18in rim but most are around 25lbs......the stock a4 avus rims are around 33lbs for a 17 in rim......and i believe that the a4 sport 17in are around 30 but im not sure.....
i think you're incorrect about the OEM wheel weight. my 15" Michigan alloys were 46 with the tire on.

I do agree 24 isn't bad for a cast rim, as long as it's something like a 19. I thing 24 is heavy for an 18 or smaller. forged rims are the way to go for a lightweight wheel.

·
Registered
645 Posts
quality_sound said:
i think you're incorrect about the OEM wheel weight. my 15" Michigan alloys were 46 with the tire on.

I do agree 24 isn't bad for a cast rim, as long as it's something like a 19. I thing 24 is heavy for an 18 or smaller. forged rims are the way to go for a lightweight wheel.
i believe i am correct....about the weights.....you may have had a the michigans may be a fairly light 15 in rim..........

24 isnt bad for a 18...its about average......
and yes forged rims are the way to go for lightweight....but he asked about cast.....so i would say he is budgeting for a cast alloy not a forged rim.....
and there are lighter cast wheels then 24 but they are a bit more expensive then the ace wheels

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
IIRC, all of the OEM VW 15" alloys are around 15-18lbs, just for the rim. Tires in the 195/65/15 to 215/60/15 typically weigh in around 25-30lbs each. Not certain about OEM VW 17".

24lbs for just a 17-18" cast rim is definitely not out of the ballpark. Probably close to average.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FYI: The OEM steel wheels + tires + hubcaps were 37 lbs. on my 2002. I replaced them with 16" from Discount. The rim was 18 lbs (cast) and the Yokahama tires were 22 lbs. So 24 lbs for 18" sounds like the high end of reasonable.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
24 is ok for 17". a little heavy, but not too bad. it really depends on the construction. rims with smaller spokes are generally gonna weigh less.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
deezdubbin said:
point is : 24 lbs aint bad at all, my asa's weigh 30lbs a piece without rubber !!

-deez
I guess it depends on the wheels size too. 24 for a 17 is WAY heavy IMO but 24 for a 19 isn't too bad.

again, just MY opinion.

·
Registered
215 Posts
im actaully suprised by some of the bbs wheels, incredibly expensive, but actually not that lightweight, what companys make forged wheels, and what are some of the better forged options for lesser coin?

·
Registered
583 Posts
hamann makes nice light wheels, so light, my friend had the hm2s and he said he heard it was around low 20s lbs, and it was 19". bbs i thought was good too,

·
Registered
419 Posts
booosted1.8 said:
im actaully suprised by some of the bbs wheels, incredibly expensive, but actually not that lightweight, what companys make forged wheels, and what are some of the better forged options for lesser coin?
Also incredibly strong which i think is more important in racing conditions. I mean, you want light too but you know, you dont want them to deform or collapse under race conditions. Bottom line, if you care how much your wheels weigh on a street car, dont get 19's, go with 15 or 16. But if you care about looks then who cares about weight?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts