Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See title.

J/W because when I run the turbo pretty hard and then park, I usually let it sit for 2-3 minutes and then shut 'er down.

Is 2-3 minutes of cool-down time sufficient for the turbo to cool down?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I think the max on my friends' timers is 2 minutes, if not three, and not quite as long should be sufficient if you are stock

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If you go by how long the turbo takes to stop glowing, mine takes longer than 2 minutes after hard driving. And I have a stock ECU, too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i usually do a good 2 mins..and feel good about it....and try to avoid hard driving with the an 'instant park' at the end.

just like after a good workout..some post-stretches go a long way in keeping your muscles healthy..and ready for next time out :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
It only takes about 1 mintue to go from glowing orange to nothing at night. :D

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I've found that even without "hard driving" my drive home from anywhere will get my turbo glowing nice and red. I live just outside of town and two legs of my trip are about a mile long each with no stops and 45 MPH speed limits. My boost gauge never reads higher than "0" and the tach doesn't go above 2500-3000 rpm.

I find that even after coasting/idling through my subdivision I still have to let it idle for a few minutes in the garage for the turbo to stop glowing.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
When I am parking where there is no light pollution (where it is really, really dark), I find it usually takes at least 4 minutes for the turbo to stop glowing entirely after only moderate two-lane cruising at 45 mph in 4th gear, even in the winter.

If there is no one behind me, I shift into neutral and try to coast to my stop. That way there is lots of nice air flowing over the radiator for cooling effect, and it saves the brakes, too.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I have a HKS turbo timer and I have to run the crap out of mine to get it past a minute fourty five(which I try to avoid). A minute and a half to two minutes should be more than suffecient.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
How hard do you have to drive for the turbo to glow like that? I should take a look at mine once in awhile. It'll be nice to know if having exhaust system actually helps the temp of the turbo lower than running stock pipes.

Josh

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,457 Posts
DrivinAJetta said:
If you go by how long the turbo takes to stop glowing, mine takes longer than 2 minutes after hard driving. And I have a stock ECU, too.
To me, the real question is how any visible glow correlates with oil temperature and, in turn, with oil breakdown. When returning home, I automatically idle for at least a minute, perhaps two, between creeping down my long, narrow driveway, unloading passengers, and waiting for the garage door to open.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
John_E said:
To me, the real question is how any visible glow correlates with oil temperature and, in turn, with oil breakdown. When returning home, I automatically idle for at least a minute, perhaps two, between creeping down my long, narrow driveway, unloading passengers, and waiting for the garage door to open.
http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/whytimer.htm

·
Registered
281 Posts
You drive along the interstate for 2-3 hours at 80-85mph. You exit and stop for gas. Do you let it idle for a few minutes before turning it off and then gas up? Or do you just gas it up while the car is idleing?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would have to say NEVER idle your car while refueling...ticking time bomb? And if you are that worried about the turbo then just let it idle for a min or two then refuel...

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
pamploner said:
You drive along the interstate for 2-3 hours at 80-85mph. You exit and stop for gas. Do you let it idle for a few minutes before turning it off and then gas up? Or do you just gas it up while the car is idleing?
I may be wrong but if your just 'pausing' for 5 minutes or so to refuel and then driving the problem is greatly diminished... anyone care to confirm that?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
The shell I go to is always busy.....I mean always so I have to wait in line at least 5 minutes. I usually put gas in on my way home from work and I drive on highway all day. I guess I'm just fortunate.

Josh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts