Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is $1200 a good price for this car? Seems so to me, but I'd like your feedback:

It has 140,000 miles, excellent original paint, no rust, interior is good - faded carpet but only a couple of small cracks in the dash. I drove it - engine is strong and smooth, chassis is tight, brakes are good. It's apparently a CA car, as it has a CAT.

It has complete maintenance records. Several major things have been replaced since 100K - like a fuel pump and timing belt. Just two months ago had $300 in brake work done - some brake lines replaced, etc. I could not find CV joints or a clutch, so it may have original CV joints and clutch.

Speaking of clutch, it felt solid but the pedal effort was about 3 times that of my '79 - is this common?

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Ok, spill. What are you thinking?

$1200 is a bit high, but the collector market for original Roccos is starting to pick up. Same with German Rabbits - prices are not going down anymore.

More details and a pic, if possible. I want the entire story here, Mr 8V. 8)

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
atomicalex said:
Ok, spill. What are you thinking?

$1200 is a bit high, but the collector market for original Roccos is starting to pick up. Same with German Rabbits - prices are not going down anymore.

More details and a pic, if possible. I want the entire story here, Mr 8V. 8)
Oh, I wish...

But this is a car for one of my sons who is about to turn 18. The ad I answered was for $950 and that was a no-brainer for me. But it was a really old ad and the owner is trying to recoup the $300 he put into it in May. Yeah, $1200 is a bit high in absolute terms, but to see the car - it's not perfect but it has been well-cared-for and was rock solid when I drove it.

The owner is an older gentleman who bought it for his son several years ago, but his son didn't want it because it doesn't have A/C. It's been mostly stored with occasional road trips from Albuquerque to CA. Like I've said elsewhere, I consider lack of A/C on this car a plus - it was horribly designed in the old MkI's...

Sorry no pics. It's that burnt-orange-copperish-metallic-brown color.

It even comes with a tailored cover, which I could use on MY Scirocco! Gee, that's 100-200 bucks retail right there!

I really can't think of any other details to share, other than piddly crap like the fact that the rear window defrost still works, the headlight switch is a little loose and may need replacement, etc. etc.

The buggy thing is the clutch effort - or maybe I'm just being anal. Also the son lives in the Boston area, so I wonder if winters there would just rust the car out. OTOH when he graduates he will move back to Northern CA...

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Maybe the pressure plate on yours is worn? Or "well used"? :p

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Well, I'm really not one to talk anyway. My Rabbit cost me an arm and a leg, but it ran and had no dents or serious exposed rust (ok, I did find some later). I still consider it a good deal.

It's probably a good idea to grab it. If your son is interested in Sciroccos, it will be a real for him. The clutch is less of a big deal than it seems - it may just be a really stiff one which can go into yours. A clutch on an A1 is about 6 hours with beer and nachos.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
it is a bit high, but if it's as clean as you say with records I think it's worth it.
My friend had a Scirrocco a while back, not sure what year, but it had somewhere around 190k and ran like new.

I'm sure you can work him down to say $800, would be a little more reasonable

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Remember that parts for these are as much as a B5. Little things like water pumps and alternators can add up real quick.

I owuld try to get it though. Very fun to drive and I still think they look cool.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Rusty! That's awesome! A 3 VW family is what you are now. What a great car for your son to start with. My first car was an S-car too.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
you lucky bastard, just to find one i would go nuts let alone own 2!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.