Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I changed the whole dash as part of my 1 din to 2 din conversion, and prior to that the seats worked, but since it's still summer I am not sure until which point they worked or not, but after changing my dash I now noticed the heated seats are not working properly.

Sometimes both seats heat up (but they never heat up the same as they did, they're just not that hot as before)
Sometimes the drivers seat doesn't heat up at all but the passenger does only on the bottom part at the sides of the seat, not the backrest,
Sometimes the passenger seat doesn't heat at all, but the drivers one does at a small rate.
So basically very erratic actions.

I checked the #44 fuse (30 amp) it is good, checked the #5 fuse (10 amp) it is good.
I swapped the switches around to check and still the same actions ( when I switched the seats I of course couldn't put them in their opposite places on the dash, so I just left them hanging for testing),
The connectors under the seat seem to be fine.

Could it be that the heating element got torn during my dash install (because I may have sat on the seat in a weird way?!), but then again it seems odd that both seats went out at the same time.

What should I check next?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I suppose that both heat elements died accidentally at the same time.
Your position on the seat whilst changinging the dash, should have had no influence.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose that both heat elements died accidentally at the same time.
Your position on the seat whilst changinging the dash, should have had no influence.
Thanks for the reply, fortunately it appears that only the switches went bad, because I tried switches from a friend's Passat and the seats heated perfectly.
Now just on the hunt to buy some good switches.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a problem again, even with the new switches the passenger seat only heats up slightly and only in the edges of the seat.
The drivers seat is now heating up perfectly.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I don't know the wiring for the seats but I would guess there must be a relay in the circuit somewhere to supply enough power. I'd check the relay for the passenger side seat (if there is one...). You might also want to check the heater elements in the seat. Since the driver seat works, an easy first step would be to compare the resistance across the seat terminals for the driver vs passenger seat.

Other options would be to swap the switches to see if the problem follows the switch. If it does, the switch is bad. Were both seats working with the other switches?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
So you used a friends switches and the seats worked as they should. Now you have replaced them and it's not heating as they should. You might have gotten a bad switch. Swap them to see if the issue follows.

Where did you get the new switches?

You can damage the heating elements by sitting on them at strange positions or kneeling on the butt part while trying to retrieve something from the other side of the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know the wiring for the seats but I would guess there must be a relay in the circuit somewhere to supply enough power. I'd check the relay for the passenger side seat (if there is one...). You might also want to check the heater elements in the seat. Since the driver seat works, an easy first step would be to compare the resistance across the seat terminals for the driver vs passenger seat.

Other options would be to swap the switches to see if the problem follows the switch. If it does, the switch is bad. Were both seats working with the other switches?
I switched the switchs but the seats still don't work correctly. At first both seats worked fine, then they both started acting up, now the drivers one is good but the passenger one is acting up. The problem doesn't seem to be the switches because I tried 2 sets and the passenger seat still doesn't heat up properly. I think the heating elements are fine because some parts of the seat heat up but not all of the seat.
I will try and have the resistance measured.

So you used a friends switches and the seats worked as they should. Now you have replaced them and it's not heating as they should. You might have gotten a bad switch. Swap them to see if the issue follows.

Where did you get the new switches?

You can damage the heating elements by sitting on them at strange positions or kneeling on the butt part while trying to retrieve something from the other side of the car.
When I used the frends switches the driver seat got back to normality but the passenger one still didn't work as it should. I tried 2 sets of switches from junkyard and friend, and tried all 4 switches in the passenger seat but none seemed to fix the problem, the seat still heats up only on 1/4 of it's normal capacity.

Is there any relay I can check? If so, where are they and how should I check them, because the two fuses in the left of the dashboard are fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts