Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I don't know which I found funnier...this:

They say McCurry was well within his rights to defend his family and property under Colorado's "Make My Day" law.
...or this:

Summit County Sheriff John Minor says McMurray -- quote -- "beat the living daylights" out of Zeller.
:lol:

Andy

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
I CT if someone breaks into your house...even with a weapon....only choice you have by "law" is to take your kids and run. If you shoot or beat up the intruder...you will be charged :shock:

There has been cases of robbers running away and tripping on the front door step....then the robber would sue the home owner...and win :suspicio: :crazy: :nervous: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
passaturbonium said:
I CT if someone breaks into your house...even with a weapon....only choice you have by "law" is to take your kids and run. If you shoot or beat up the intruder...you will be charged :shock:

There has been cases of robbers running away and tripping on the front door step....then the robber would sue the home owner...and win :suspicio: :crazy: :nervous: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Actually, in CT you can use force, even deadly force to defend your residence Here is the statute:

Sec. 53a-20. Use of physical force in defense of premises.

A person in possession or control of premises, or a person who is licensed or privileged to be in or upon such premises, is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by such other person in or upon such premises; but he may use deadly physical force under such circumstances only

(1) in defense of a person as prescribed in section 53a-19, or

(2) when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent an attempt by the trespasser to commit arson or any crime of violence, or

(3) to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate an unlawful entry by force into his dwelling as defined in section 53a-100, or place of work, and for the sole purpose of such prevention or termination.

Also, the case of the criminal that invaded the home and was injured and sued was on Pine St. in Waterbury, the judge through it out of court stating that he did not have legal reason for being there. If you do a search, the ones about the criminals winning the lawsuit are generally urban legend.

Most states have a right to defend law on the books. It is when you can use deadly force that varies. In TX I believe you can simply shoot first along with a handful (13 or 14) other states.

·
0 Posts
In brooklyn if someone breaks into your house...even with a weapon...you have the right to gently beat his ass and then throw him out the window and call the cops and say someone just jumped off the roof, and he dont look to good officer...no thats alright operator dont want to leave my name! :lol:

And thats just if you can't find your gun in the dark! Beak in my house if you want to! :evil:

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Guyute said:
Most states have a right to defend law on the books. It is when you can use deadly force that varies. In TX I believe you can simply shoot first along with a handful (13 or 14) other states.
IN TX it's ok to shoot them on the sidewalk in front of your house if they look "suspicous".

Here's the statute:

Sec. 53a-20. Use of physical force in defense of y'alls house and pickup.

1> Shoot

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Guyute said:
passaturbonium said:

Actually, in CT you can use force, even deadly force to defend your residence Here is the statute:

Sec. 53a-20. Use of physical force in defense of premises.

A person in possession or control of premises, or a person who is licensed or privileged to be in or upon such premises, is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by such other person in or upon such premises; but he may use deadly physical force under such circumstances only

(1) in defense of a person as prescribed in section 53a-19, or

(2) when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent an attempt by the trespasser to commit arson or any crime of violence, or

(3) to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate an unlawful entry by force into his dwelling as defined in section 53a-100, or place of work, and for the sole purpose of such prevention or termination.

Also, the case of the criminal that invaded the home and was injured and sued was on Pine St. in Waterbury, the judge through it out of court stating that he did not have legal reason for being there. If you do a search, the ones about the criminals winning the lawsuit are generally urban legend.

Im OWN3D!!!!

Thanks....thats good to hear.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Postman said:
Guyute said:
IN TX it's ok to shoot them on the sidewalk in front of your house if they look "suspicous".

Here's the statute:

1> Shoot

Bahahahahaha :lol:

The "Make my Day" law, that's classic :thumbup:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
XedoS69 said:
hehehe
this reminds me situation back in Poland when one drunk guy smashed our front windows at 3 am.
My dad was punching this guy on the hood of the cop car. They even hold the guy for a better shot :) :lol:
:poke:
LMAO

You were lucky the cops even came....they usually dont even do that. :( :) :sad:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, Colorado's "Make My Day" law was pretty controversial when it ws enacted back in the 80's. There have only been a few cases of intruders being shot and killed.

Unfortunately the cases of intruders killing people in their homes is much higher, now that is a damn shame.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Postman said:
Guyute said:

Here's the statute:

1> Shoot

As far as I know that is untrue. My wife is in law school and along with the law classes I took in school, the general rule in TX and OK is that if someone comes in your house you MUST assume they are there to kill you so you can use deadly force to defend yourself. And if you shoot them in your yard you had better drag them back in your house before the cops get there or you go down for man slaughter...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'm just happy I don't live here...

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2687311

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man Who Killed Armed Intruder Jailed Eight Years

By Will Batchelor, PA News
Tue 23 Mar 2004

A man who stabbed to death an armed intruder at his home was jailed for eight years today.

Carl Lindsay, 25, answered a knock at his door in Salford, Greater Manchester, to find four men armed with a gun.

When the gang tried to rob him he grabbed a samurai sword and stabbed one of them, 37-year-old Stephen Swindells, four times.

Mr Swindells, of Salford, was later found collapsed in an alley and died in hospital.

Lindsay, of Walkden, was found guilty of manslaughter following a three-week trial at Manchester Crown Court.

He was sentenced to eight years’ imprisonment.

After the case, Detective Chief Inspector Sam Haworth said: “Four men, including the victim, had set out purposefully to rob Carl Lindsay and this intent ultimately led to Stephen Swindells’ death.

“I believe the sentences passed today reflect the severity of the circumstances.”

Three other men were charged with robbery and firearms offences in connection with the incident, which took place in February last year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/karl

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
And if you shoot them in your yard you had better drag them back in your house before the cops get there or you go down for man slaughter...
This is what my dad says too. Make sure he is in your house. If he isn't, drag him in.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
SpecialKDog1 said:

quote:

Tue 23 Mar 2004

A man who stabbed to death an armed intruder at his home was jailed for eight years today.

Carl Lindsay, 25, answered a knock at his door in Salford, Greater Manchester, to find four men armed with a gun.

When the gang tried to rob him he grabbed a samurai sword and stabbed one of them, 37-year-old Stephen Swindells, four times.

Mr Swindells, of Salford, was later found collapsed in an alley and died in hospital.

Lindsay, of Walkden, was found guilty of manslaughter following a three-week trial at Manchester Crown Court.

After the case, Detective Chief Inspector Sam Haworth said: “Four men, including the victim, had set out purposefully to rob Carl Lindsay and this intent ultimately led to Stephen Swindells’ death.

“I believe the sentences passed today reflect the severity of the circumstances.”

Three other men were charged with robbery and firearms offences in connection with the incident, which took place in February last year.

/karl

There must be more to this story. Why would the convict a man who was out numbered 4 - 1 in his own home and didn't even use a gun? WTF?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Postman said:
SpecialKDog1 said:

quote:

Tue 23 Mar 2004

/karl

There must be more to this story. Why would the convict a man who was out numbered 4 - 1 in his own home and didn't even use a gun? WTF?
In self defense, you are only allowed to use the same force that was used upon you. Assuming they didn't shoot at him, then him killing them was tecnically using more force than was used on him...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
its nice to see you can actualy defend yourself without going to jail :eek:h:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
2.0GTI said:
its nice to see you can actualy defend yourself without going to jail :eek:h:
Very true...however in most cases its not the case.

For example, if someone walks up to you on the street and punches you.....the second you punch them back you are as guilty as they are...youself defense (you are asking).....run away!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts