Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm just a little worked up...

We had to call the cops out earlier this evening because cars have been sitting behind our house, on the roads of a new development. Pulling in, and just sitting there, lights out. Not gonna happen behind my house.

Well, a couple hours later (about 11:00 pm), I hear a shout somewhere outside, which is unusual in my usually quiet neighborhood.

I look out the back, don't see anything. I wander to the front windows a couple of minutes later, and just happen to see a figure - in full white-hooded jumpsuit (it snowed ALOT here)- stand up in some bushes across the street, then run across the street and down my driveway. It's on the side of the house, so I lose sight of the camouflaged figure as it passes the corner of the house.

:shock:

W T F!!!!!!!

Full adrenaline mode kicks in. I sprint out the front door, and down the walk and steps to the drive. As I hit the bottom, I look to the right and expect to see someone either: 1. vandalizing my Passat, 2. Trying to steal my Passat, or 3. Trying to get in the house through the door into the garage.

What I see is a teenaged kid, with the hood down now, walking up towards me. In that instant in the dark, I slightly recognized him, which is what saved his butt. I say something menacing to him and then grab him by the wrist, hard, as I now see it is the kid from the house down the street.

He says he is trying to play a prank on a buddy of his who is on his way over, by scaring him or some such crap but didn't realize we had fenced in the back yard...which is probably true, but doesn't matter. We had a heart-to-heart there in my driveway. I made it clear to him that he was lucky....I told him that someone else would greet him with a shotgun in that situation:

Trespassing, near midnight, in camouflage....it would be sad, but fullly justifiable.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I agree, it's your property, you have every right to be pissed. Personally, I would have stayed inside and gone to a window to see if I could see what was going on. If it was still suspicious or something was really going on to damage my property, I would have called the cops and then depending if I could tell if the guy was armed or not, I would confront him/her. It's happened before to me, and most of the time (at least in my neighborhood), it turns out to be teenagers playing around.

I would say you were lucky this guy didn't turn out to be an armed and edgy hoodlum... :wink:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, there are no windows on that side of the house (serious design flaw, that I hate), so after he passed the corner, I could not see unless I went outside, or down to the garage.

The "kid" in question is no "child". He is a high-school senior. In other words, he should know better...

Believe me, he was about 2 milliseconds from tasting the concrete.

Yes, I agree, it would have been safer to call the cops, but at that point I had no idea how long before whoever it was would possibly be in the house. I just wanted to get them.

Here's a pic of the view out the front. The bushes where he was hiding are those just to the left of the streetlight. My drive is directly across the street from them.

He was wearing a "clean room" suit....a white, whole body jumpsuit with hood.

:mad:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Just food for thought, don't mean to sound paranoid, but what if it would have been someone intent on doing something really bad and this person was armed. Rushing out the front door to confront the person may not have been the best thing to do.

I love my Passat, but it's not worth my life or my family's life. (If it was an armed intruder and this person shot me, they now have access to my house and family.)

I hate hearing from armchair commandos, so I thought twice about posting this, but I'd hate to see a fellow B5er get hurt over a car.

If there are areas that are hard to see at night, motion activated floods may be in order?

Glad it all worked out, stay safe.

/karl

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I know. 20/20 hindsight....

I was standing at the front door and I just went right out as soon as what I had seen actually registered in my poky little brain.

I do have a motion-activated floodlight back there, and I honestly cant' remember it being on. It works everytime I check it..

Hey, I'm not planning to sacrifice myself for my car (at least this car) but my kids were sleeping upstairs. I have not had this happen to me before, but next time I will be a little more stealthy, and call the cops also.

I don't remember being that stupid when I was a high-school senior.

I should have picked up my shotgun on the way out. It would be unloaded, of course, but I would pay money to have seen this idiot drop a load in his pants. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Holicow
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing