Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my '99 B5 to the dealer for timing belt, tentioner, etc. I have not had a CEL except for the time I lost my gas cap. Pick it up a day after they said it would be finished with a check engine light and them telling me I need a new throttle body. I asked what gives they told me that sometimes happens. I told them I am NOT going to pay for this, they said they would see what they could do. Has anyone see a P-1559 or P-1565 fault codes? They told me they cleaned the TB but that the fault wouldn't go away. I said What fault I haven't EVER had a fault. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Help please.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
This is one of those bad situations for all parties.

The throttle body has two potentiometers in it, and they do go bad.

HOWEVER, they can go bad and it will not affect performance, and it will not throw any relatable codes UNTIL the codes are cleared and they try to reset the throttle adaptation. This happens because the car doesn't necessarily look for both readings from both potentiometers until you try to set the adaptation on cars with a throttle cable (like yours.)

So what has happened to you is that the throttle body went bad at some point in the past.

They do the timing belt and tensioner, scan the car, go to set the readiness code (just like they're supposed to) to check their work, and discover your throttle body is bad come adaptation time.

You didn't break it, they didn't break it, it was broke before it ever came into the shop.

They technically don't owe you anything. They had no complaint from you about a check engine light, and there was no reason to check the throttle body prior to starting the work. It only shows up as bad when they are finishing up the work you told them to do.

I have one I am going to install TODAY because of this exact situation.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
V6er said:
Now why could the dealer not have put it like that?
Most likely because they didn't figure you'd believe it.

But trust me, it happens.

Now any car I get in with even the hint of the need to hook up the scan tool gets a throttle body adaptation just to make sure I don't get caught again.

Of course, customers probably will be mad if I quote them the cost of replacement anyway, but at least I won't have "missed" it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sharky, should I turn them down then if they agree to replace the TB for free? I don't think they will but they might give me a discount and if they do I will take full advantage of it.

V6er, you'er right they didn't put it that way. They said that it sometimes happens that things break when they are in the shop. Had they put it like Sharky said I would have let it go a gotten another TB some place and put it on myself.

Thanks for the help
Jason

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Whatnow said:
Sharky, should I turn them down then if they agree to replace the TB for free? I don't think they will but they might give me a discount and if they do I will take full advantage of it.

V6er, you'er right they didn't put it that way. They said that it sometimes happens that things break when they are in the shop. Had they put it like Sharky said I would have let it go a gotten another TB some place and put it on myself.

Thanks for the help
Jason
I don't know if I would turn them down.

If this is a 1.8 car, I'd maybe split the parts cost and put it on myself.

V6s are more trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.