Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Interstate MTP-91 --- Vent tube required?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Jesstzn 
#1 ·
Just realized the old vent tube left with the old battery... Does the MTP-91 require it? Did not come with one.

#3 ·
I'm likely showing my ignorance, but what do they do? First time I've ever seen one...I didn't even think about pulling it off the old battery, just kinda thought "what the heck is that" :banghead:

I would understand if the battery was mounted inside the car, but even being in its compartment, seems like it should get enough air flow to vent on its own right?

#5 ·
And - from the voice of experience - if your battery has the nipple on it for a vent tube, make dang sure that the tube is attached. My battery boiled over and I had acid all over one side of my transmission and the garage floor. I cleaned up the tranny with some baking soda & water to neutralize it.

#12 ·
The tube vents off the hydrogen produced when the battery is charging ... occasionally if the battery is really run down you can get a perking effect with the bubbling but seldom does it ever perk over. Its just nice to vent the explosive gasses out of the engine compartment or at least to an area where they won't vent into the car cuz they can smell a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.