Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a website where you can find out about tire (NOT wheel) weights? I thought I had read something somewhere, but I really can't find anything now (tried google and searches on honda-tech & the vortex). I'm also aware of the info on the edgeracing website, and the link on miata.net ( http://www.miata.net/faq/tire_weights.html ), but I really don't think they are very comprehensive.

I'm particularly interested in the 205/50/15 and/or 205/55/15 size for most of the DOT legal R-compounds (victoracers, ra-1's, hoosiers, etc), and for the kumho MX street tire.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MACABRE- Ah thanks! I see the MX's, and most race tires are 20lbs, which are pretty reasonable!

I was deciding between the MX's, Azenis (which I already have for my Civic hatch), and the TS-1's for my Miata. Seems like the MX's are the best deal around and overall peformance compromise around according to most of the reviews accross tirerack and diff enthusiast forums. TS-1 are really tempting, but the price is a lot higher, and there seems to be more mixed reviews.

Hey, where did you get your MX's? Seems like tirerack has a decent price ($79 per tire?), but there shortage in their Nevada warehouse. Shipping from their E coast warehouse is going to cost more than cali taxes ($55) :(

B5-TURBONIUM - yeah I did check out the Edgeracing site, but stragely enough I couldn't find their app for the Kumho MX and R-compound tires (even though I know they sell the 712 Supras and other passenger tires).

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Get the Hankooks. :)

Cheap, and most of the SCCA SM guys like 'em. GRM did an article on laptimes between the Hankooks, RA-1's, Victoracers, and one other (Yoko A032Rs soft and hard I believe)...and the Hankooks were the most consistent throughout all laps.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I compared prices and it turned out cheaper to get the MX's at a local shop for the same reason you're finding. I think I paid $99 each mounted for 225/50/16s.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geez..that's a killer deal, considering tirerack's price for the MX's in 225/50/16 is $104 per tire (not including shipping). Your paying less even w/ mt & balance! What shop did you go to? For a deal like that, I may even swing by to Sac the next time I drive up to the bay area.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
It was about 6 months ago from an America's Tire :) They wanted to charge me some B.S. shipping fee since it wasn't a tire they normally stocked but they dropped it when I made a fuss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts