Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I have had a recurrence of the issue i posted about a while ago, where as the turbo on my 1997 1.9 Passat TDi (110bhp) intermittently fails to kick in.

The issue will usually last for 1 whole journey, but when the car has been turned off and left for a while, the fault usually clears up.

Having read several other posts on the forum with the same issue, i am wary of just going out and buying a new MAF, as i would expect the fault to be more consistant (this has only happened twice in a few months) and a lot of people are advising against this being the issue.

How would i go about checking the following to see which is causing the issue?

Air flow meter , N75 valve , ECU , Vacuum Pipes..

I see a few suggestions are to run the car with VagCom connected and log certain requests / statistics.. Does anyone have any reccomendations on what i would need to log?

Cheers

Simon

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I see a few suggestions are to run the car with VagCom connected and log certain requests / statistics.. Does anyone have any reccomendations on what i would need to log?

Cheers

Simon
You can use vagcom to check for stored fault codes to try and get a direction. The problem with replacing components to start is it could be the the component or the vac or elecc line to the component. Example, N75 or vac line connected to the N75, DV or vac line connected to the DV.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention. I have ran Vagcom on the car the same day i had the fault originally and the results are below:

00519 - Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71)

28-10 - Short to Plus - Intermittent

Readiness: N/A .

I cleared the results but have exactly the same a few months later when the fault has occured again.

I'll have a feel around the vacuum pipes, although i think i'll have to clean a few of them first as it would be impossible to spot any sort of leak with them being quite dirty.

Thanks for your help

Simon

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Forgot to mention. I have ran Vagcom on the car the same day i had the fault originally and the results are below:

00519 - Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71)

28-10 - Short to Plus - Intermittent

Readiness: N/A .

I cleared the results but have exactly the same a few months later when the fault has occured again.

I'll have a feel around the vacuum pipes, although i think i'll have to clean a few of them first as it would be impossible to spot any sort of leak with them being quite dirty.

Thanks for your help

Simon
That code refers to the pressure sensor near the outlet of your intercooler. Check the wiring and connector and make sure everything is whole/clean. On B5 it is easy to remove and inspect to see if it's all gunked up with oily residue, but not exactly sure where it is on your car besides near the IC. Can possibly be cleaned to get it right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts