Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There are a number of data points you can get from the Climatronic through the front panel. There are a number of write-ups on how to run diagnostics from the head unit. Do a search on climatronic diagnostics to narrow it down.
Actually I had found that out about ten days ago. I cleared two stored codes (off the top of my head I don't recall what they were) and I have not had a chance to test it since. I do plan on taking it for a drive and doing a flush this sunday if my week finishes decently by saturday night.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I have a 2003 GLS, original owner, now with 185K on the clock. I have had to flush the heater core annually for at least the last 6 years to get any kind of heat of it. From new, I only ran G12 coolant in the car. Two years ago, I flushed the system thoroughly and switched to regular Prestone. Since then, I've been able to stretch out the flushes a bit longer. At 17 years old, this car is now used just for local driving and for hauling my bicycle to the local trailhead, although it still pulls well!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think I found my bigger issue...I think the "flange" or whatever seems to break is broken. if I recall correctly, its what the ECT sensor actually sits in?
Can someone point me ouit the thread if they have it handy, i got a few other things pressing me right now

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
There is a metal replacement part available, otherwise OEM is the way to go on these. Here's some relevant threads.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
There is a metal replacement part available, otherwise OEM is the way to go on these. Here's some relevant threads.
Thanks, I will check those out and also see what ECS has for the 2.8L ATQ

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
the reason I think its somewhat related to the ECTS, is after I flipped my in and out lines to the heater core, and was running the engine with the hood open and the heat on full (once the car was warmed up) to see if I could get the system to self bleed and test the heat...I noticed that there was "steam" rising. I could not clearly see where the coolant was leaking/spraying, but it definitely was coming out somewhere in the vicinity of the ECTS (and being fumes sucked in through the air intake to the cabin)

Also there was a marked increase in coolant leaving the system under high RPM...thoughts? was I barking up the wrong tree about the coolant flange? is that just a 1.8T issue?

EDIT:
I found:
seems like the same problem, but the photo is useless to me as its so blurry. I guess I ill have to somehow figure out a way to see in there while the engine is running and there is no MAF...doh.

I guess it might be the lower hose?

maybe part 7?

·
Registered
26,616 Posts
The V6 has metal pipes in the coolant system. The seal on the coolant temp sensor does go bad every 4-5 years or so. I just replace 2 of them on my son's 2 V6 Passats.

They can also leak at the O-rings in the pipe connections and at the heater hoses on the engine side. I have a writeup in the Info forum, but the pics died.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm probably due for this myself. That retaining clip that holds the sensor in place is a PITA to seat properly and easy to slip out of your hands. You'll notice in that DIY the guy says buy 2 just in case, but the last time I did this someone in this forum suggested to me tie a piece of dental floss around it and you can still push it in, and if you springs out of your hands and you lose it just pull up on the floss.. Wish I'd thought of that before I did it!

Edit: It looks like the DIY actually covers that but it says use string.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The V6 has metal pipes in the coolant system. The seal on the coolant temp sensor does go bad every 4-5 years or so. I just replace 2 of them on my son's 2 V6 Passats.

They can also leak at the O-rings in the pipe connections and at the heater hoses on the engine side. I have a writeup in the Info forum, but the pics died.
I will check out that write up.
I replaced the o ring on the ETC when i replaced the ETC in the winter/spring this year.
I will check that it is seated well and I will check the oring again.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So....I got screwed on my truck and inspection, so I had to pull the VW to use. of course, since I had my truck I wast too worried about the heat issue but now i needed it fully working. 02 v6 4mo glx wagon auto 131k miles in case it isnt mentioned recently.

SO i went to tackle the coolant pipe under the intake manifold today because I pretty much could not figure any other leak in my system....after literally doing all of the work...as I was about to pull the heater hose off....it dawned on me that there should be fresh evidence of coolant under the manifold. while there was rust, dirt, nuts, shells....there was no coolant.

so tomorrow morning I need to put the entire thing back together. that being said, there were a couple things i did discover.
1) fuck the VW engineers. places that hex bolts could have easily been used, they used allen bolts.
2) I will clean out the seat of the ETCS since I have easy access now
3) what is this yellow shit in my PCV system? the only thing I can think of is that after I did all the work last winter on this, I still had misfires for a while when it was wet out. after a while i finally replaced the coil pack and that solved the issue of misfires when wet.
4) the leak is coming from underneath the front passenger side where it hooks into the hoses going to or from the radiator.

I tried to grab some pics.
Yellow shit inside of the PCV system

I will clean out the ECTS seat and also flush my coolant.

So while plenty of crap in there that i cleaned out, no fresh coolant.

torque specs on the bolts I had to remove would be awesome if anyone has that handy...mostly the ones for the 12 intake manifold bolts, the 4 total on the combi valves, and the 4 total on the heater hose.

Also since I have been running my heater core backwards, there is still crap getting removed from the core, so I will have to do a coolant flush anyways.

Please help.

Leak is under the passnger side:
Not sure how to get better access or what to do to solve it. do i need to remove the serpentine belt to remove the rest of the covers? I basically have 33-34 hours to get the running or i have to start using sick days as I can't get to work otherwise.

Arrows mark the direction of the late two photos:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If the leak is a the lower radiator hose, and the last picture is a shot of it, then the hose looks bulging and way past its prime. I would replace that and drive with a blanket and gloves.

·
Registered
347 Posts
torque specs on the bolts I had to remove would be awesome if anyone has that handy...mostly the ones for the 12 intake manifold bolts, the 4 total on the combi valves, and the 4 total on the heater hose.
What bolts on the heater hose? Combi and intake manifold bolts are all 7 ft-lbs. That's light you'd need an in-lbs wrench at 84 in-lbs if you want to be exact. Pics below are all from ATQ section (V6 engine from 00-05). Interesting that for my engine AWM (V4 engine from 01-05) I can't find an exploded view of the manifold, but an earlier version of V4 engine also uses 7 ft-lbs so I'd guess it's pretty much the same for everyone.

Cooling system:
v6_cooling_system_engine_side.jpg v6_cooling_system_body_side.jpg v6_cooling_system_hose_connections.jpg v6_cooling_system_continued_circulator_check.jpg

Fuel injection & Intake:
v6_fuel_injection_atq_00-05_part1.jpg v6_fuel_injection_atq_00-05_part2.jpg v6_intake_manifold_tuning_atq_00-05.jpg v6_throttle_body_atq_00-05.jpg

Combi:
v6_combination_valves.jpg

·
Registered
26,616 Posts
That swelling hose is due to an oil leak, either from the VCG or a cam seal. It connects the thermostat housing to the after-run coolant pump or the oil cooler (can't remember). If the leak is coming down the alternator or from that area, it's usually the thermostat housing. The plastic weakens over time and the area that contacts the seal degrades. If the leak is coming down the front of the oil pan, it's the water pump. Either one requires removing the timing belt, but a few people have replaced the T-stat housing by bending and pulling the belt out of the way.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That swelling hose is due to an oil leak, either from the VCG or a cam seal. It connects the thermostat housing to the after-run coolant pump or the oil cooler (can't remember). If the leak is coming down the alternator or from that area, it's usually the thermostat housing. The plastic weakens over time and the area that contacts the seal degrades. If the leak is coming down the front of the oil pan, it's the water pump. Either one requires removing the timing belt, but a few people have replaced the T-stat housing by bending and pulling the belt out of the way.
So when I adopted it, it had major issues. I replaced the VCGs and CSPS seals (it was my first attempt at doing anything more than changing a tire on a car, or like replacing a window regulator).
ECTS was replaced because it was shot (again last year). no coil, new plugs, new (reclaimed wires) though I broke two more this weekend and I will have to get more from the junkyard at some point. multiple misfires, lots of issues when I got her, but I am working my way through them all. I just wasn't planning on using the VW much this winter because I didn't have winter tires for it. I have winter tires for my truck. I spent most of last year working on my truck to get it ready for inspection, and it was fine until the put it on the lift and the weight of the rear axle broke the (rusty) bracket once the tire was pulling on it instead of pushing against it. I am rather unhappy and broke, so buying tires for the VW was hard, but I found a set of 3 seasons used blizzaks on rims for 300.

Way too late in following the coolant hose seal replacement (literally the step after removing the 4 bolts holding it on) I realized I should see wet, and I don't see wet. I thought it might be here because of a couple of things. I was wrong. I looked under the car again and from the starter/alternator there was still coolant dripping.

So right now I have the car mostly put back together except for all the shit I did for no reason, so I have to get the vacuum, PCV system, electronics, intake manifold, and everything back in and working tonight because I have no car I can borrow (yeah I am borrowing a car to get to work for today). I had to make the two hoses that connect to the aux pump. hopefully it will last a while. its some high temp hose I got from a truck repair shop after 4 hours of checking EVERYWHERE.

It was not fun making it work. Orielly's did have the other lower hose with the sensor socket that connects to the bottom of the radiator. I found it is really easy to pop those off using a screwdriver and a hammer to pop them off if they are stuck (the plastic not the metal clip) from the front. worked really well.

I will replace the vacuum lines when I am putting everything back because my patchwork of scavenged lines and things is due to be replaced. That being said, I did get 3 of the 4 headlight adjusters working. I think I will get the 4th going tonight as well. I also feel extremely confident in tackling the timing belt, water pump, t-stat housing next summer.

In lieu of VW part 3411....I found some 100mm (i think) m8x1.25 bolts at home depot, they work very well. in the future, I may just get some longer bolts, but the 5 inches was enough to make it not horrible. I did also find that whoever repaired/replaced a lot of stuff after it had its accident didn't bother to replace ALL the bolts/screws they needed. thankfully I had a bunch left from the work on my truck (I am so mad).

Oh yeah, low of 4 degrees tonight in the unheated garage that I have to work in.

the last thing...my 5mm socket fell and completely disappeared in the frame of the VW. it fell in the vicinity of the ECTS....any ideas of where it might end up?

hopefully tomorrow I get to pop on here and let you know it is back together and running (this time with all of the heat hopefully)

sorry for the rambling, I have not had any sleep or nearly enough food.

·
Registered
165 Posts

the last thing...my 5mm socket fell and completely disappeared in the frame of the VW. it fell in the vicinity of the ECTS....any ideas of where it might end up?
For some reason ( sadistic tendencies ? ) the frame was designed to eat tools, bolts, etc. I have spent way too much time trying to fish a magnet down there or reaching up from beneath to find what I had dropped.

edit : for your socket, if you have the V6 ( I forgot what you are working on ) ,check the exhaust flange around the O2 sensor.

And, on a general note, don't get discouraged. These beasts get the best of us all.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
For some reason ( sadistic tendencies ? ) the frame was designed to eat tools, bolts, etc. I have spent way too much time trying to fish a magnet down there or reaching up from beneath to find what I had dropped.

edit : for your socket, if you have the V6 ( I forgot what you are working on ) ,check the exhaust flange around the O2 sensor.

And, on a general note, don't get discouraged. These beasts get the best of us all.
yeah very annoyed that i can't find my lost socket.
also very annoyed that my leak wasnt at the hose above the alternater like i thought.
questionable if it was the two horrible looking hoses....because nothing has really changed other than now my ECTS isnt reading. I did find a leak at the ECTS when I put some pressure to the system. I used a slighly larger oring, it didnt work. i cleaned the seat, didnt work. I used a shim I made from old extra brake shoe slides. I am wondering if this may be hacing an issue with the ECTS not reading. its not even a year old.

p0118 - ECTS
p2096 (because the flex pipe has not been replaced. and likely wont until I HAVE to, or VW decides that hey, bolts work great,

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
ECTS issue resolved. I think it is my water pump and/or my timing belt. not sure what else it can be at this point.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
edit: for your socket, if you have the V6 ( I forgot what you are working on), check the exhaust flange around the O2 sensor.
Sadly I have not had a chance to check there, but my guess is it is gone somewhere on the road. But maybe I will get SUPER lucky and find it on Sunday which is likely the next time I am under it.

The good news, on the other hand, DeWalt is sending me another one!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
oh, also, instead of buying an expensive set of ball head Allen sockets, I bought a cheap set of ball head Allen wrenches (because the ball is on the wrong end...and cut off the ball end plus a bit, then crazy glued it to the corresponding metric socket from a random set of incomplete sockets. hehe.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts