Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wood trim on the interior of my 2001.5 GLX V6 has cracked, and doesnt look very attractive anymore. Has anyone else faced this problem? I think it may be due to the hot arizona sun, and when we got it new in 2001, there was absolutely no tint on the windows, so the sun would beat down on the wood hard. My shifter knob is almost completely cracked around, and the wood on the door handles have hairline cracks all over them. These are the only cracked wood pieces in the car. Is this common? Can anyone direct me toward OEM replacements for a reasonable price?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I had three pieces crack in mine all replaced under warranty. Cracking isn't sue to the sun but movement of the piece itself. I even had the passenger door done twice with the 2nd time the dealer replacing the whole handle as the trim just didn't sit right or tight to the substrate. These pieces aren't cheap running about $75 each. As you are out of warranty it's up to you if you replace them but it's a little pricey and I'd either look for a wrecked passat or just live with it. I have seem piece in the 'classified' but not too sure if they'll match or not.....

8,184 Posts
I have the same iusses with mine, but I read where a member sanded the top layer off the pieces and then recoated them. It looked great and the wood looked fine after. But I wouldn't even know hwere to start

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same iusses with mine, but I read where a member sanded the top layer off the pieces and then recoated them. It looked great and the wood looked fine after. But I wouldn't even know hwere to start
I am very confident that I could do that. Can anyone tell me the best way of removing the wood pieces from the door handles. I will try just wetsanding it, and giving it a few coats of clear, and a nice polishing. I'll post my before and after pictures when I am told how to remove the trim.

Thanks.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My shift knob is cracked. Other pieces are fine so far on mu 99 GLS V6. I just hope the knob does not break into pieces while I am driving/shifting gears.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
my pieces from the 2002 b5.5 i have are all in relatively perfect condition. the only cracking is maybe one or two likes on each of the handles on the front doors. (inner handle on driver side, and one crack on passenger piece)
warranty does cover them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My warranty is already over. I guess I could call the dealership and ask them for a price on these pieces.

Also, the rubbery coating on the door handles where there isnt wood is peeling pretty badly. Would it be a bad idea to remove the rest of the coating? If not, what is the best way to remove it?

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
you know what would really be interesting..?
make your own custom wood interior pieces.
i'd love some cherry wood.

·
Banned
547 Posts
I need the thin piece just above the ashtray and the passenger rear door.

Cracked too... amazing a $30K car with 55K on the clock. Falling to pieces.

Oh Well.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
That's what owning a VW is all about my brotha :lol:

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
My shift knob cracked so I replaced it with a wood Momo shift knob. It perfectly matches my wood trim, much nicer fit for my hand, and it is better quality.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you dont have tiptronic? I want to find a replacement shifterknob for a reasonable price, I'm having some trouble.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts