Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looks good Kittera

Did you use both types of spray on the pieces? or one for certain pieces and the other for different pieces?

How's it holding up, how long has it been since doing it?

Thanks
I used the black paint+primer first on each piece, two coats for each. Let that dry then put on two coats of the matte enamel top coat. Each piece I painted was taken out of the car, disassembled and masked as needed. It yielded a very close color match to the factory black elements already present.

I just couldn't stand the bland greyness. Had it been a tan-interior car I'd have probably been fine with it. Black and tan go better together than black and gray in those proportions. So what I did was just to break things up a bit kind of harlequin style(just with only two colors).

I have a few spots where abrasion has worn the paint off. Namely, a scuff on the glove box, one on the passenger side of the center console, and one where the driver seat belt buckle rubs against it. Other than that it's held up well enough. This is far from a professional job; someone else here may have more tips on protecting these paint jobs from scuffs like mine have suffered.

Since those pictures my seats have also gotten worse. They looked fine when I got the car but there's so much fake-leather-repair on thme that's breaking down.. the seats are definitely not as soft as in my stepdad's '03. So I might be trying for black seats from a pick-n-pull yard.

·
Registered
139 Posts
the best thing to avoid scuffs is to just not scuff it.
i don't mean that smart-assedly, rather, any kind of coating or layering you paint on if gets scraped can and likely will go through the layers over time.
This. I could put 15 coats of matte enamel coat on my pieces if I repainted them, and eventually they would be scuffed again, either from regular wearing against the piece by something like the seat belt buckle, or something colliding with the piece hard enough to scrape paint off anyway. The only way to get color permanence would be to go to a junk yard and find good pieces out of a black-interior passat. If the plastic itself is black ,then scratches only go through to.. well, black plastic. Thankfully the only challenge that presents is the lock cylinder in the glove box. I don't know how that one gets changed out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.