Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I explained this correctly with my subject. But first and foremost, I would like to say HI as I am new to the VW world. Just picked up a CPO '07 Blue Graphite Passat 2.0T couple weeks ago. It replaced a Jeep Grand Cherokee as my daily driver, due to longer commute to work and gas mileage concerns. I also own a 'fun' car (not that the Passat isn't, because I am thoroughly impressed thus far) which is an '08 BMW 335i coupe. Anyway, the reason for this post is because I wonder if anyone else has noticed that the cabin of the car gets extremely 'turbulent' when driving average roadway speeds with the windows down. Obviously, the extent of 'turbulence' is proportional to the amount/extent of windows down. But compared to my 335i, it's extremely 'turbulent'. At first, I thought it was just me. But my wife even commented (she hates her hair blowing all over the place) the other day as we were running some errands. "I like the Bimmer better", she said in reference to driving with the windows down. I've tried manipulating which windows and how far to have down. No noticeable effect yet.

So my question to y'all nice folks...is there a certain way you guys/gals drive with the windows down without feeling like you're skydiving? Has anyone else noticed this, compared to his/her other cars?

·
Registered
707 Posts
ive noticed this too lately. the best solotion ive heard was rear windows down all the way and fronts cracked open and inch or two. or if u have a sunroof open tht and tht rear windows i cant test tht, no sunroof in my b6. but the rear down n front cracked has worked pretty well for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So my question to y'all nice folks...is there a certain way you guys/gals drive with the windows down without feeling like you're skydiving?
:D:D

Perfect analogy! I've noticed this too, but I've given up trying to fix it. About to try the front-back combo. It's a shame the rain guards are so hideous, I'm willing to bet they would make a bit of a difference

·
Registered
414 Posts
leave the windows up and the AC ON for best results :poke:

If you want to to use the windows. the best way I have found is to open the sunroof, and lower the rear passenger side window about 2 inches. gives a nice breeze but stays relatively quiet. Give it a try. (won't work if you don't have the sunroof of course).

·
Registered
835 Posts
I love your "skydiving" analogy! I have complained to my wife for the past two years about this very issue. She drives the Passat more than me so whenever I drive it, I notice the difference immediately. :(

My question to you is: How many times have you bumped your head on the door frame whenever reaching outside the opened window? i.e. ATM machine :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I tried the suggestion of front windows down 2" and rear windows down all the way and it's probably the best option. If I recall, the moonroof was shut. I guess that's how I will "roll" from now on. Thanks for the posts!!! I'm glad to join this group and look forward to learning much more from y'all.

Also, I apologize about the re-post on the topic. I was so excited to make my first post on here, I forgot about forum etiquette of searching. Thanks for not flaming!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310832

Known issue and I notice it too. Rolling down rear windows helps the most.

Question: 335i gets good highway mileage, so why the Passat? :)
335i gets good gas mileage all around. But I work in downtown Detroit. Not to add to the stereotypes of the city, but I am a little hesitant to take the Bimmer down there on a daily basis. In the actual downtown, I'm not worried as I park in a secure parking garage and what not. But the drive INTO the city is questionable. Not to mention, I didn't wanna put all those miles on a brand new (not anymore) BMW.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hahah first of all let me just say i love 335i's and have been in/driven one and its a hell of a machine, and for you to like a B6 and buy one is pretty cool!

but yeah, i always have sad it feels like your going 100 at 50mph. its weird

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I had the same issue of the rear windows buffetting on my old MKIV Golf also. However that car had a sunroof.

the 08 Turbo--- sunroof was not available.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I see this complaint alot, but I am not sure what others have owned to make them complain about this.. my avalanche does it--almost makes your ears want to pop, my subaru had a design flaw by the mirrors (2004) where it was waaay worse..almost every car -4door- I have had does this. I do the cross window deal.. front left and right rear or front right left rear. I don't put them all the way down but even halfway works. So guess it's me but I know to many other vehicles that do this as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
leave the windows up and the AC ON for best results :poke:

If you want to to use the windows. the best way I have found is to open the sunroof, and lower the rear passenger side window about 2 inches. gives a nice breeze but stays relatively quiet. Give it a try. (won't work if you don't have the sunroof of course).
I hear the Dremmel can make you a sunroof.... :wrench: just speculation so far :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
on a serious not i let someone smoke in my car and they ashed all over because of this issue :(

solution: No more smoking in my car

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
335i gets good gas mileage all around. But I work in downtown Detroit. Not to add to the stereotypes of the city, but I am a little hesitant to take the Bimmer down there on a daily basis. In the actual downtown, I'm not worried as I park in a secure parking garage and what not. But the drive INTO the city is questionable. Not to mention, I didn't wanna put all those miles on a brand new (not anymore) BMW.
Cool man, I understand. I'm nuts about protecting my B6.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a B5 Passat and it was a whole lot nicer to cruise with the windows down in any configuration. The B6 seems to blast air right onto the side of your head with drivers window open. I usually have the sunroof open and the back windows down a bit for nice airflow, but most often just enjoy the turbulence with all windows down, roof open and moving fast down the highway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts